Wednesday, September 27, 2017

The Brightest Fell (October Daye #11) by Seanan McGuire

The Brightest Fell (October Daye, #11)The Brightest Fell by Seanan McGuire

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I did not like this one. There's only so many stories I can read filled with . . . I can't think of the right words at the moment. All that I can think of seem wrong - bitter characters, whiny characters forced to do what they have the power to do but don't want to do, etc. Characters that react instead of act.

Has Toby ever acted of her own accord? She seems to always be reacting. Like here - 1) sister-fetch May wants to hold a party for Toby's upcoming - currently unscheduled wedding. So she does. Toby kept saying no, etc. May holds it in a karaoke bar. Toby does not like being forced to sing. She sings. She reacts to the world around her and doesn't act on her own desires; 2) momma turns up, asks Toby to go find the long lost sister, Toby kinda wants to do so, but not for momma. So she says no. Momma freezes everyone, forces the cat to turn into a cat - shoves cat into tiny pain filled cage; turns May's girlfriend into raven (which she is, being a kind of wereraven), shoves raven into cage. Tells Toby to get August and the 'toys' would be returned. Toby reacts to this demand and hunts for sister.

Whiny, bitter, reacting Toby. *shrugs* I've been off and on with this series - If you looked at the ratings I gave, you'd see an odd mix of ratings. 3 stars, 4, 5, 4, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 2. Well, until I looked, I didn't recall that none had dipped to 2 before now, nor that I had that long stretch of 4 star books. *shrugs again* I'll probably read the next in this series. Might, maybe, might read that Velveteen book I hadn't read yet, and/or that Newsflesh one I haven't read yet (though it's a parallel book that doesn't push the series forward, since the series is already complete, but instead shows a story that had already occurred and doesn't star the main characters from the series). Probably won't try the mermaid book, any more of the index books, or the . . . um . . orphans books?

I'm tired of sadness. Everyone's always so sad in this author's books (whether under this name or her other name).

Rating: 1.64

September 26 2017




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment