Thursday, September 14, 2017

Cleaved in Two by Hypnobyl

Fandom: Supergirl (TV)
Found: http://archiveofourown.org/works/10404105?view_full_work=true

Both my second story by this author and my second fanfiction story based on Supergirl (though first was by a different author; the other story by this author that I've read involved the female version of Ghostbusters).

There are two main differences between this story and the previous Supergirl story I'd read (probably more, but let's start with these): 1) the first story was a longish book length work, while this one is a short story; 2) first story involved Kara Danvers and Lena Luther; this story involves Kara Danvers and Cat Grant.

There's an interesting twist added to this story: apparently 'soulmates' begin picking up some of the traits/abilities of their 'soulmate'. And Cat has been having some . . . strength (as in, a lot more than normal) and . . . remaining on the ground problems lately (as in, occasional bouts of hovering).

Items of interest: This is a fanfiction, so: Characters? Both Kara and Cat seem to correspond to what I recall of their characters from the show. Placement (in the timeline of the show): not sure - at some point before Cat left, at least, and while Kara is still her assistant, but after Maggie and Alex began dating (I'm not actually sure both factoids ever occurred at the same time on the show - Maggie+Alex dating and Kara still assistant to Cat).

The whole 'soulmate' thing completely baffles me. At least it does after I read 'Alex had found her first soulmate in tenth grade'. Apparently people can have many soulmates over their lives. I . . . confused. The soulmate thing makes me feel uneasy. No, not the 'Cat and Kara are soulmates!', but the 'people have more than one soulmate throughout life, and they exchange abilities through that link! And, other than the ability exchange, being a soulmate doesn't really mean anything!' I mean . . what the fuck? My entire ability to enjoy this story has been drastically reduced when I learned that Cat and Kara being soulmates is basically like saying both are female. Why the fuck was 'soulmates' word even used? I'm very annoyed. I mean, the bloody title implies that soulmates means something, while the bloody story itself . . . keeps tossing the word aroudn super casually. mmphs.


'At forty-two years old' - wait, Cat Grant is only 42? I assumed she was Calista Flockhart's age (52). And Supergirl is somewhere around 27 or 29 or something like that (Melissa Benoist herself is 28).


Part of the story involves a 'Carter' who is Cat's teenage son. I knew of the adult son, but I do not recall the teenage son. Though that might just be because I haven't seen many episodes.


Okay, seriously, did 'soul mates' come up on the show? Yes, no? Why is it overwhelming this story? I don't mean in the somewhat sappy natural 'we're soul mates' way, I mean everyone's talking about it as if it was this 'thing' that everyone goes through. Like the teenager is all 'just because your soulmates doesn't mean anything'. gah. It's super annoying me.

Wait, what the fuck? - “My soul mate invited me to the convention today. This is like the first time they’ve been interested in hanging out with me, and Mom wouldn’t let me.” The kid has a soulmate? WTF IS THIS FUCKING SOULMATE FUCKING CRAP!?!? arrgarah

Cat - '“When I was eighteen, I encountered my first soul mate.' - okay, seriously, I'm just numb now. Just fucking stop talking about fucking soul mates since it obviously means jackshit in this universe. Just fuck off with your soulmate talk.

You why I keep getting pissed off? Because it keeps pulling me out of the story. I'm bouncing along, happily reading and interesting story and . . . something like 'All these years, I’ve had soul mates, and I’ve never stopped to think about how alienating that might be for you. ' pops up and I'm out of the story. Poof. Out. It's like fingers on chalkboard.

mmphs. Story over now. There were flashes of good here and there - heck, the whole story might have been 'good-ish' but I'm not really able to tell because of that fingers on chalkbard 'soulmates' stuff. *shrugs*

Rating: tenatively rate this 3.24

September 14 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment