Friday, September 1, 2017

It's in the Stars (It's been Written in the Scars/On our Hearts) by katevw8

It's in the Stars by katevw8

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Fanfiction based on the television series 'Supergirl', which can be found here.

Well, then. In a review that I wrote for the most recent previous book I had read written by this author, I had had a longish discussion about how I had thought it was the last book currently available to be read by that author that I hadn't yet read - and how rare it is for me to read everything available - but had noticed, mid-read, that there was this book here. Well, now I've read this book here. So, you know what that means . . . *looks*. Oh, I actually have read everything by this author now, neat. Hopefully there will be more to read, but neat for now.

Fun review so far, no?

Being that this is a fanfiction written based on and using characters from Supergirl: I'd seen episodes of Supergirl, and for a while there it was one of those shows I had kept some track of - I forget now how much I'd seen. Bits and pieces of episodes here and there, possibly most of the first half of the first season. 99% of the episodes I'd seen had been ones before the show changed networks - with one, maybe two episodes from after the network change. I mention this so there's some frame of reference - I had some greater than vague idea about this television series before I read this fanfiction, but it was an out of date knowledge of the show.

I'm not sure if this work would be easier to read with or without specific knowledge of the show. I do know that there were things that it helped to know from having seen the show (like what the characters look like - like, I don't think any of the characters skin coloration ever got mentioned, but at least two of the main characters have dark skin on the show, and I wouldn't have known that without having seen the show). I also know that there was stuff I didn't recognize and that flew over my head. Would it have been easier/better to come to this 'fresh'? Not sure. Like, I knew what a lot of the background characters look like (less than half, but a lot of them), but had no idea what some of the main characters looked like from watching the show (I had seen a huge number of 'SuperCorp' youtube videos before I read this story, though, and some included images of Lena and Maggie - neither of whom had been in the episodes I'd seen). So, I suppose it's good to know that Supergirl looks like one of the Glee show cheerleaders (since, you know, she was), and that her human father looks like one of the Superman actors (since Dean Cain played that role), and her mother had played Supergirl, and the sister is super gorgeous looking and stuff. I've lost my train of thought and am moving on.

Right so - characters seemed to line up with what I recall of the show. Bearing in mind that none of the characters had been lesbian or even hinted at the idea before I'd stopped watching. So - characterization seemed good.

Oh, and important - especially important now that I've seen, though not read, some of the other Supergirl fanfiction stories - there are multiple points of view in this book. They include: Lena (Supergirl's girlfriend), Kara (Supergirl), Alex (Supergirl's human sister), and brief moments with Maggie (Supergirl's human sister's girlfriend). And, while this is a 'Supercorp' story (Supercorp being the name fans of Lena/Kara relationship have picked up on using - and was used constantly in this story itself (as in, #SuperCorp being mentioned trending on twitter), some part of Maggie and Alex's relationship also got some time to be seen by the reader (much less time than Lena and Kara's, but some time).

bah - I didn't know what to say but figured I wanted something in the review box. I keep rambling hoping I'll hit something interesting. pfft. I just note some of the things I wanted to note instead of trying to force things.

One of the 'things' I noticed that likely would have been missing from a polished published work - there were many scenes that got repeated. I mean, literally, it was like a copy+paste had been accidentally pushed a couple of times. A few paragraphs conveying information would pop up, new paragraphs pop up, then those same earlier paragraphs appeared again. Normally this occurred rapid fire in close connection to each other - once, though, the repetition occurred about a hundred pages after the scene's first appearance.

I liked the story, and what was revealed/shown. Especially like a specific love scene between Kara and Lena when Kara was 'deflowered'.

bah, can't think of what really to put here.

Rating: 4.67

September 1 2017



View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment