Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Wakeup Call by Aimee Nichols

Wakeup Call: An Erotic Short StoryWakeup Call: An Erotic Short Story by Aimee Nichols

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Confusing. No, not the story. The review situation. I wrote a review for this story, posted it, read something else, wrote a review for that story, posted it, and now today I look and see that the review for that other story is in both review boxes. And the review for this story is missing. Annoying.

I read two short stories by this author late last night. This one and the 'Lipstick' one.

This one involves a woman named . . . gah. No idea now. I lost the review and there are no names in the book description. I know the story, I felt the story, names weren't important, though, so neither of the important names dug themselves deep into my brain.

Okay, so, I try to recreate.

A woman works at a cosmetic counter at a store. Based on the book cover and various other tidbits, I get the impression that this story is set somewhere around the 1950s . . . except I do not think phones worked that way in the 1950s. Hmms. Maybe? No matter. Quite modern language used, antiquated outfit and phone. *shrugs*

So, eventually I'll get there. So, a woman works at a cosmetic counter at a store. Numerous (or several?) people in the store, but none near her, or wanting her attention. Which is good because she is very distracted. Because she's thinking of a woman. And desiring to hear her voice. She's aroused by the idea of hearing that woman's voice (there was a specific phrase used, but all that is coming to me at the moment is 'honey and gravel' but that can't be correct).

Suddenly that phone she's been starring at rings. Woman excitedly picks up the phone, could it be? Could it be that woman she wants to hear? But alas, it's some customer. She, barely, handles the call. Ends call. This is too much, she thinks, and immediately dials her lover's number. Just to hear her voice. And I'm reminded immediately that this isn't the 1950s, because the woman answers with the information that she had been asleep, dreaming of being a sex maiden (sexy maid? I forget now exact phrase) of Anglina Jolie. And that knifes were involved.

The two women then proceed to have a graphic and explicit discussion of what the two would do to each other if they happened to be near each other instead of connecting via telephone. Recall that one is in a store, in public.
...
Quite interesting and strange story ([admittedly I left everything after the ... from the review that was supposed to go to that other story; so strange story? *thinks* Well, I suppose it's strange that the costume the woman is wearing in the store is described in a way that sounds like it came from the 1930s/40s or 1950s; yet there's mention of Jolie]). Ended too soon, I want more ([again, a line that went to a different review; I do not necessarily want more - it is an interesting snippet/look into someone's erotic life, though it might be interesting to read more about the specific characters here]).

Rating: 3.75 ([I do not recall the exact rating I originally gave, but the shelves indicate that I gave something around 3.75, so I'll leave that as the rating for this story])

December 14 2016



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment