Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Snowflakes by Suzie Carr

SnowflakesSnowflakes by Suzie Carr

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Thoughts as I read -
Confusing story. Can't figure out which person has point of view - which is compounded by the fact I've no clue who anyone might be. Maybe it's a dog's thoughts? Can dogs be lesbians? Okay, probably not the dog's thoughts. Or . . maybe?

Odd family. Spending the night before Valentine's day (is Valentine's day Eve a thing?; I'd mention All Hallow's Eve here, but I'm already taking too long). Right, sorry, so on Valentine's Eve, a family gathered together to play trival pursuit. And drink shots of whiskey. Your answer is that little Timmy? Wrong! Drink your shot! (or 'right, drink your shot'). What an odd family.

'eyeing me with the energy of ten trains' line in story. About a dog. 1) That is either one powerful stare, or one weak one - notice it is the eye that has the energy of ten trains, not the wagging tail; 2) when I think of ten trains all together, I think of a train yard. And therefore picture them all sitting there. Silent. Unmoving. Powerless. Hence my 'or weak one' above.

Well, eventually I got the idea. Two people meet at a dog part, by accident. With their dogs. There's snow on the ground. And one tosses a ball around.

Ah darn. See, here I am bouncing along picking things here and there to pounce on, like a cat pouncing on string, and the story had to go and actually get me interested. With two people meeting for the first time. And both seem interesting. mmphs. Alice and Desiree.

You know, I got rather deep into this story, then it went and reminded me that it was a short story by abruptly ending. Ah well.

My second story I've read by this author. Even hough I had rather liked that first I'd read, I had held off trying another. Something about them didn't pull me in. But, in I went again.

I'd give this one a rating of 4. Longer and less . . . telling, drifting aimlessly, etc. and I'd probably rate it higher.

December 13 2016





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment