Friday, January 27, 2017

Look Of Love/Miradas De Amor: Miradas De Amor by Lynda Sandoval

Look Of Love/Miradas De Amor: Miradas De AmorLook Of Love/Miradas De Amor: Miradas De Amor by Lynda Sandoval

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This is both the first and second time I've read this book here. Complicated, eh?

First time I've read a book with this title (Look of Love) and by this author (Lynda Sandoval), second time I've read the underlying story, though with a different title and author (Little White Lie by Lea Santos).

First off (I need to stop starting sentences with first), that funny looking title? Look of Love/Miradas De Amor? This is actually a split book - the first part is Miradas de Amor, second part is Look of Love. So, two books in one, eh? No, same book, just first time in Spanish (reminds me I need to get the translator's name added to the book record), second time in English.

Second off - there are very few ratings/reviews for the 'Look of Love' version of the book that came out in 1999 (11 years before 2010's 'Little White Lies' appearance). Which is sad - because the book really is a well written heterosexual romance. And the man? Currently there is kind of a 'clamor' for 'Alpha' or 'Beta' men. Gavino Mendez is neither. He's just a man, a nice man with a bad past (I do not actually recall if the female version of this character, Gia Mendez, has this 'bad past' aspect). He's neither an alpha asshole, nor a weak-ass whimpy 'beta-man'. I have no idea why I'm going down this specific path here. hehe.

Okay, so, as my memory recalls to me, this book here - the het and the FF versions, are basically the same book with gender differences (Gavino became Gia; that man in this book who tricked Esme onto the television show became a woman in 'Little White Lies'). By the way - it's shocking how long it took me to realize that when Gavino was talking to himself in his brain, and used 'Vino', he was using a nickname for himself. bah. heh.

Another thing I do not specifically recall - how much, if any, humor is in the FF version of the book. I mention because there was some rather funny moments in this book here. It's not a laugh riot or anything like that, just some funny moments here and there.

Right, enough of that. I liked both versions. This version ended up with a lower rating mostly, I believe, because I'd already read the other version of the book, so already knew everything that was going to happen so it wasn't 'fresh'. Though that male/female vs. female/female aspect certainly added a layer of freshness.

Rating: 4.50

January 27 2017


ETA: that 384 page number? Counts both the Spanish and English versions of the book. The book itself is closer to 163 pages in length. I didn't actually 'power-read' from page 96 to 384, no, just from 96 to 163.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment