Wednesday, January 4, 2017

The Devil's Due by Ali Vali

The Devil's DueThe Devil's Due by Ali Vali

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Ack. I forgot to write a review and now . . . hmms.

1) There is a short story in Girls With Guns that I strongly encourage people to read before reading this book here. A few new to the series characters make their first appearance in that short story and they have a somewhat significant impact on the story-line in this book here.

2) I rather liked this specific book, hence the 4.5 rating. Though it is hard to discuss (beyond the note in 1, and noting rating) as this is a book late in a series in which each book before it matters to the one that comes after it (or, in other words, I kept 'spoiling' myself just from looking at the book
descriptions). So what can I really put here?

3) I like the characters that appeared in this book. Solid characterizations.

4) Strong solid plot.

5) There are, as may or may not be expected - since this is more of a slice of life type book about a criminal than a mystery, romance, or anything else - so there are things that occurred before this book that are of importance, and things that are of importance that are still 'dangling' at the end of this book (hence that 'slice of life' tag - it's a look in on a character as they go about their life - not a recap of their entire life).

6) Odd how basically everyone whose sexual preference is made known is a lesbian except for, maybe, two women in New Orleans.

7) I didn't particularly care about some of the subplots - like the one involving Marisol (or however Hector's daughter's name is spelled) and the one involving Nicolette (again, however that is spelled); or, for that matter, the one involving Stacey .. . um . . something or other - Hector's mistress (and even though that's a MF relationship, there was one specific scene when Stacey thought to herself about a lost opportunity that involved another woman - am I reading into that? Any other book I'd say yes. Here where 99.9% of New Orleans is a lesbian? No, probably not reading more into that thought than I should).

Rating: 4.5

January 5 2017



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment