Saturday, January 21, 2017

Favorite FF Short Stories found in short story collections



1. Forever Yours, Eileen Rebekah Weatherspoon

A short story found within the book 'Best Lesbian Romance of the Year: Volume 1' edited by Radclyffe

tags: The South, Brooklyn, 1950s & today, People of Color (black)

I do not know if I can write a review for this one. Quite emotional still, I am.

Two young girls grow up near each other in 'The South' back in the 1950s. Both are black. Someone, a relative perhaps, mentions that it would take God himself to separate the two (as a side note, 'God' is used 25 times in this book (book not story) - 'our mamas would joke that it would take the hand of god to pull us little devils apart. The hand of god or my daddy's determination.'). The daddy in question were seeing how things were looking, Jim Crow, 'The South', the 1950s, so he moved his family north - to Brooklyn.

Two youngsters who were destined to grow up together, to be inseparable . . . separated by a father afraid, then by circumstances. Separated for 50 years, baring very brief moments. Very brief. They wrote letters, though, throughout that time. They documented their separate marriages, their families, the news of what was going on, and eventually their realization of who they actually loved in life.

And the story itself starts in a dinner. I believe in New York, though might be Brooklyn. It only took 50 years, but the two are near again - near and able to actually, maybe, probably move on with a life that involves both of them together, near, no longer separated, back to being inseparable.

And I'm sure I do not need to mention, since this is a book of lesbian short stories, but yes, both realized that they were lesbians. And who it was that was in their hearts.

Rating: 5.75*

* I believe the only reason this is .25 off my highest rating is because it's a short story inside a short story collection, and I've only read it once. Otherwise . . ..

November 1 2016

2. Learning to Ride by Fletcher DeLancy

A short story found within the collection titled 'Spread the Love' edited by Astrid Ohletz?

Tags:

I’m not really sure what I was expecting when I opened the book, I just know that I was in something of a bind – I needed to read something (that’s me, must always be reading), but the book I’d picked up to read was annoying me. So, a quick look through my Kindle lead to this book – and this first story in the book.

I was hooked immediately – a woman on a bicycle going for a ride. A woman who hadn’t ridden in a great while and was . . . larger than the common bike rider. Hooked me – it did.

I’m not sure how others might view the story. The cover emphasizes ‘Seven Romantic and Erotic Lesbian Stories’ – which is actually why I haven’t even opened the book since I got it in January. I have to be in a ‘mood’ to purposefully go out of my way to read something labeled ‘erotic’, not ‘romance’, but out and out ‘erotic’. This brings us back to my first sentence in this paragraph. I’m not sure how others might view this story, because it is: (1) quite simple, really, in nature; (2) doesn’t have angst/drama/tension/conflict (beyond ‘can I go another mile/can I climb the hill’) except for the first encounter between the two women in the story, when one almost accidentally killed the other (‘On the left does not mean that you go to your left, but that I’m coming from the left’); (3) this story is by no means erotic, graphic, or otherwise have with sex in it. Those who need conflict/angst would probably be annoyed by the romance. Those who saw ‘erotic’ on the cover of the book, would be annoyed by the lack of erotic . . . action in the story.

Me? I loved the story. I actually found myself tear-y eyed while on the train. Long after I’d completed the story. I know, I probably should see someone about that. Heh. Unlike the last time I mentioned teary eyed (or something along those lines), this time it was happiness, joy, positive stuff that caused the mist.

I mentioned that the story was simple – well, it’s basically just a story of a series of bike rides. And a woman that encounters another on these rides. The first time a blur speed past Dana – the blur said something, but Dana couldn’t catch it. She assumed it was something derogatory. The second encounter with the woman almost involved injuries – blur ‘on your left!’ squealing. Dana didn’t realize ‘on your left’ meant someone was coming on your left. She thought that meant the rider wanted Dana to move to her left.

And the story proceeds from there. Brief encounters while on the bike trail. Though the brief encounters build up. Somewhere along the line names are exchanged. Sexual orientations are hinted at. Common interests are mentioned. More encounters on the bike trail.

This story kind of caught me unaware. Sure, I was hooked from the beginning, but I didn’t expect to love it.

Rating: 5.5
Date read: April 27 2016

3. Spiritquest, LLC by Andi Marquette

A short story found in the collection 'Wicked Things' edited by Jae and Astrid Ohletz

tags: Denver, Ghost (from 1920s), Ghost hunters

Ghost hunters investigate the Halstead House in Denver - sightings had been made of a young woman named Lily who had died in the 1920s at the age of 26. The Ghost hunters include Allie, Mike, Mandy, and Sky (a newcomer). The story is from the point of view of Allie. A joke is made that they should rename themselves 'Spiritqueer' since all of them are queer.

This is a very interesting story, quite detailed, quite thrilling/exciting. I wasn't sure if this was going to be a romance or an erotica or what, so I was kind of hunting in the beginning for who the potential pairing might be. If you, the reader of this review, wish to know beforehand - look behind the spoiler - think of it as either 'no one' or 'the ghost' - since there is a century long romance there..

I loved this story - I loved the atmosphere, the relatively gentle nature of everything - considering the the subject matter; the romance angle, everything. Which is somewhat surprising to me because of the author. See - I failed myself a long time ago. I had this rule that I was never going to allow 1 story to dictate whether or not I like or hate an author (or, more exactly, whether I try anything else by them). And I failed myself.

For you see, I had read something by Andi Marquette before. A book that was, in general, liked by readers (4.01 overall rating), and strongly liked by friends (4.05 overall rating). While I myself had seen it as kind of meh, and was something I was only able to give, tentatively, a 3 rating to. So I never again attempted a story by Marquette. I'd see things that might interest me, notice the author, and cringe away. It's actually the combo of me giving a 3 rating, and the part where I was in the minority for that rating. But there was this story here in this collection, see, so . . . I read it. And loved it. This is why I have this rule to not base decisions (good or bad) on one work.

Rating: 5.0

October 29 2016

3. Walking After Midnight by Lois Cloarec Hart

A short story found in the collection 'Wicked Things' edited by Jae and Astrid Ohletz

tags: Halloween party, Vampire

A wallflower type woman around 28 (I believe) named Gem St. Claire is talked into going to a holiday party. She wants nothing to do with it but can't get out of it. It's like the day before so she has to make do with whatever she can make herself so she ends up in a tux an cape and pretends to be a vampire.

Part of the 'talking into going' is the part where Kate, someone Gem has lusted after since high school, will be there. And is, apparently, single. The friend of Gem's tells her that she needs to ask her out already (with positive or negative results to the asking out) or move on from her lust for Kate. She's basically put her life on hold because of these feelings. At least her romantic life.

Things go about as expected (don't ask what I mean, that would be spoiler-y, there's like a ton of directions 'expected' could have gone) and Gem finds herself wandering a graveyard on the way home - darting from the party early. Runs into a woman in that graveyard. A woman dressed somewhat similarly to Gem (tux, cumberbund, cape). A woman named Cleo.

Some advice given. The night continues. A reunion of sorts occur. More time passes. Another Halloween roles around. Life, such as it is, continues.

I'm being purposely vague. Lovely story.

Rating: 5.0

November 2 2016

3. Batteries not Included by L.T. Smith

A short story found within the collection 'When the Clock Strikes Thirteen' edited by Astrid Ohletz.

tags:

This is one of those stories that needs to be read/felt/experienced by the reader - anything/most things I could write/explain would just be in the way.

All I can really say is that there's this house with more than 1 floor, a woman in it working late at night, noises heard, and a building tension. Building . . . building . . . building . . .

Rating: 5.0

October 24 2016


6. Some Nudity Required by Axa Lee

A short story found within the book 'Best Lesbian Romance of the Year: Volume 1' edited by Radclyffe

tags: Student, Teacher, model, artist, nude model, geek girl

A bookish English major, a senior, is secretly dating a TA (not sure if they were ever in a teacher-student situation in a class (ah, see, went back to make sure of names, saw 'best students in class had a right to meet with her TA outside of hours, right?' - the power imbalance* is somewhat on display in this story - one of the reasons I dislike teacher-student relationships (like I dislike boss-employee as well), though part of this 'imbalance' might just be personalities involved and not teacher-student; TA - teacher's assistant). The TA, Erika, is kind of bossy, dismissive, desirous of her girlfriend to not look 'like a lesbian'; and desirous of not being out and open about their relationship.

The bookish English major self-describes herself as being geeky, an follower of rules, standards, and stuff. Not at all the kind to answer an advertisement for a model with a line like 'some nudity required'. But then, maybe she is that type to answer an ad (this isn't a mystery about whether or not she' contact Audra - since the story opens with her already in the middle of doing so; advertisement - 'Female Model, any body type, thesis project, some nudity required. Paying. Contact Audra').

I'm not actually sure that the 'bookish English major' actually has a name used at any point in this story. Beyond 'I'.

Right, so. Fun enjoyable exciting story that I'd probably react differently to depending on situation (like if I'd been on the train commuting when I read this, or just outdoors in general).

artist/photographer - Audra
TA - Erika

* many things could be said about a teacher-student power imbalance. The teacher has certain power over their student that might not be there otherwise. Power to 'ruin' the student's life - or at the very least control it so they didn't ruin it (via bad grades and the like; recommendations; whispers to other teachers). All of which 'would take down' only the student. The student has power as well, but implementing it would 'take both of them down' - by coming forward about the unethical (potentially illegal) situation (they could lie about the nature of the relationship, of course, talking about force/harassment/rape - but they could do that kind of thing, lying, without actually being in any kind of relationship).

Rating: 4.999999999999

November 4 2016

7. Kindred Spirits by Lea Daley

A short story in the book 'Finding Ms. Write' edited by Jae and Jove Belle.

Tags: Grief, partner died, age-older-grey-hair

A story about two women whose partner's died (separately and by different means). One, whose partner passed away a while ago, attempts to help the other whose partner died six months ago.

A year or more passes.

A really nice, lovely story.

Rating: 4.98

January 13 2017


8. Eden's Revenge by Missouri Vaun

A short story found within the short story collection 'Absolute Power: Tales of Queer Villainy!' edited by Erica Friedman.

tags: Hacker/Geek-girl/terrorist, Police Detective

A young woman's sister died because of the actions of a specific man. Eden, the live woman (Jordan's the name of the dead woman, and Grey is the name of the Police Detective investigating Eden), has targeted the man who is responsible for Jordan's death with destruction.

It is highly likely I vastly overrated this story. I have my reasons.

No matter - well written story. Kept my interest.

Rating: 4.97

January 20 2017


9. The Road Home by May Dawney

A short story found in the collection 'Wicked Things' edited by Jae and Astrid Ohletz.

tags: Halloween, bar, student, small town, bad weather, ghost story, age-20s

Have you ever seen that Steven Spielberg directed 'Duel' tv film (well it was intended for tv, I think, might have gotten a theater release)? This story is nothing like that (I should do this with all my reviews (you know the 'Hobbit'? this is nothing like that - hehe). At least in the sense that the weather was down right nice in that film. And the 'events' that unfolded were much longer than the events that unfolded here. In the sense of two cars chasing each other in a life and death like struggle? Yeah, similar. Though it's pouring rain in this story, and not everyone involved in the struggle might realize . . . things.

Depending on whether or not someone has to be 21 to serve alcohol, this story involves two young women around the age of 20 or 21 who end up near each other in an unexpected way. Which leads to a pulse-pounding encounter. Actually, more than one encounter.

Quite thrilling. Exciting. Good story.

Rating: 4.95

November 2 2016


9. Healing Hand by Lynn Mixon

A short story found within the collection 'Women with Handcuffs' edited by Sacchi Green.

tags: Witness Protection, US Marshal

The story is from the point of view of a woman who was a professional gambler, and has now been in witness protection for the last 5 years. The story kicks off with that woman hearing a car, grabbing a shotgun, and looking outside. Spotting a slick SUV - out of place in the mountains of her home. A US Marshal steps out - one that the woman knows.

That US Marshal mentions that the evil dude who is the reason for the woman to be in protective custody had escaped.

The story then proceeds to have the protector and protectee engage in a display of erotic play. Though in a much better and more satisfying way that my little comment might make it seem.

rating: 4.95

October 21 2016

11. Hollis by Jove Belle

A short story found within the collection 'Women with Handcuffs' edited by Sacchi Green.

A woman who is both a police detective and someone who sees themselves as being on the verge of middle age, is at a training . . . um . . thingie. Story opens while she's running for seven miles under the supervision of a FBI agent.

Apparently this police detective has a certain level of submissiveness, though only to those who she sees as being . . . um . . . strong enough. Which works out here, since she sees the FBI agent as strong enough, and that agent is quite happy with the concept of dominating another.

They have a moment in the agent's office.

Quite exciting, in its brief way.

Rating: 4.89

12. Lavish are the Undead by B.A. Huntley

A short story found within the collection 'Less than Dead' edited by Samantha M. Derr.

tags: FF, Doll-monsters (zombie-like), wheel-chair

A self-described gym rat is on a treadmill listening to her girlfriend, a DJ, on the radio until she starts to play an hour long David Bowie album. Switches to a book. Switches back to the radio. Runs. Lights flicker. Mick, the gym rat, powers down the treadmill - worried she'd end up planted in a wall if she didn't and the power cut out suddenly. Screams erupt (okay, I don't recall if there are screams, let's try that again). People start fleeing from the area near the windows. Mick looks over. Sees . . . things. She in turn flees.

Gets outside. Sees . . . doll people? Well, human shaped creatures bouncing around looking like porcelain versions of humans. They are breaking everything reflective - windows, glass, mirrors. They charge towards Mick. Mick leaps into her car and flees.

Somewhere along the way she spots a woman being attacked, an older woman. She saves her. Takes her back to the older woman's place. As they clean themselves up, they listen to the radio. Apparently some kind of 'bone-disease' is sweeping the area. People are told to stay indoors and board up their windows. Mick gets Sally (the older woman) to change the station so she can check on her girlfriend. Girlfriend still alive but . . . sits inside a giant tower of glass - 100 floors up. In a wheelchair. Mick must save her.

Quite thrilling short story. Fun, exciting. I'd rate it . . . hmms . . . 4.85.

12. Bow and Arrow by Carsen Taite

A short story found within the collection 'Girls with Guns' edited by ?

Tags: Bounty Hunter

The first story in the book, despite the line up of the authors on the cover, is Bow and Arrow by Carsen Taite. As noted, this is my first story by this author. So I do not know if Luca Bennett, Jessica Chance, or, for that matter, if Teresa Perez or Cris Perez-Soria have appeared in anything by Taite before now (ETA: there is a three book Luca Bennett series that Chance appears in. Going by the book descriptions, this story here might be considered 3.5 (not rating, but series order number; three books then this short story). I know books like this have a tendency to have one of three types of stories – (1) a story involving a character from a series (either as a cameo or as the lead character in the story); (2) a completely new set of characters; or (3) stories by different authors that are, in some way, linked together by character, story, events, or some other issue. I do not know, yet, which category these stories in the book fall under.

Bow and Arrow follows Luca Bennett, ex-cop, and current bounty hunter. The story starts with her returning to work after having been shot. At work she's a bounty hunter, so it's a good thing that she's on the hunt for a fugitive (since that's what they pay her to do). She’d rather be at home wiggling around with her love, Jessica Chance, but her boss would be annoyed if she didn’t actually return to work at some point. So there she is, in her car, watching a place she believes a suspect is located. She has her dog Cash with her.

Relatively easily . . . well, I’ll go ahead and note this issue. She momentarily captures the fugitive but he has information on another fugitive, someone by the name of Teresa Perez. Another ex-cop, and someone who had previous run-ins with Chance and Bennett (a kidnapping of Chance was mentioned, the part where Bennett had been shot might be related, but not sure – the events that occur in this story kind of lead me to believe I might be following up on a previous story). Perez is someone both Chance and Bennett really want. So Bennett is going to go after her.

Just a quick note – I do not know why I keep calling her Bennett, I believe she gets called Luca a lot more often, but I got kind of trapped there in which names to use.

Okay then, the story will be about a former cop, current bounty hunter who will be investigating a fugitive cop (though she herself had not specifically been assigned to find said ex-cop). Except . . . complications ensue. Luca has jury-duty. Heh. Kind of neat in its way. Must investigate! Have leads! Must . . . wait? What? Well crap. *sitting impatiently in a jury waiting room . . . waiting for the obvious dismissal . . . waiting. Name called. Waiting for the questions from the lawyers. She’s an ex-cop who lives with a cop, and hunts fugitives, obviously she’s going to be bumped . . . except she isn’t bumped*.

It’s neat to see a case from the jury-perspective, especially through someone who knows investigations and the like. So the story turns to Luca investigating the missing/fugitive cop and attending trial. As a jury-member.

I mentioned another name above. Way way above. That of Cris Perez-Soria. But hadn’t mentioned her yet. She’s a fellow jury-member and really talkative. Really enjoys the chance to be a jury-member. And stuff. She had too many lines, so to speak, for me not to include her name above in the list of people who might have previously appeared in a Taite book.

I rather liked Luca Bennett. And the story was quite neat. I didn’t particularly like Cris, but she’s not the lead so whatever. A few more things before I give a rating: (1) Romance – Jess and Luca are already a couple when this story opens. They appear lovey-dovey, though there are a few complications. (2) Sex – possible I missed it, but there wasn’t any. (3) Mystery/Trial – both were about what I’d expect for a short work and I have no complaints there. (4) Short work - I was at 28% of the file when the story ended. The book is listed as being 240 pages. So that’s 67.2 pages for this part of the book.

This specific short story I’d give a rating of 4.85 out of 5 stars. I’m quite interested in looking into other stories by Carsen Taite, though I have ‘experiences’ with tackling people who write both short and long work. Boiled down – I grew up reading short story collections (best of [insert year]; Treasury of the best [insert genre]) and short story magazines. I found out several things. Short stories are something in and of themselves (and not just fragments of a larger story; though serial stories exist as well). There are good ones, great ones, and crap ones. And the skill to write an outstanding short story does not always translate to the ability to write a great book (and the opposite also applies). There are some authors who I hated when I tried them in short story form (Jack McDevitt), but loved in long form (McDevitt – tried a long form by accident). And some I love in short form, but never really loved anything they wrote long form (many names could go here, I’ll just use Lawrence Block as an example). So, my near 5 star rating for this short story does not mean I’ll instantly love anything and everything by Taite.

Rating: 4.85

14. The Christmas Grump by Jae

A short story found in the collection titled 'Gingerbread Hearts' edited by Judy Underwood.

tags: Security guard - mall, kid

Hmm. Story starting out with a vague feeling of 'I've been here before' (story-wise).

And . . . yes, I've read this before. At least I think I have. Darn. This is at least the second time I've excitedly started in on a Jae story . . . only to realize that I'd already read it - last time it was, I think 'Morning After' which I had read when I read the book 'Depature from the Script' (if I have the titles right). Here the title of the story is the same. Just two different short story collections. This one and 'Love Beneath the Christmas Tree.' And looking at that collection - the next Jae story is also in that collection. So, it's as if there are no Jae stories in this collection - no new ones. I feel annoyed by that fact. I'd be even more annoyed if I hadn't gotten this collection here for free (just like I had gotten that 'Morning After' short story for free as well).

Well, guess I'll have a reread or two then. I mean, it has been 2 years since I read that other collection.

So, since I didn't write anything for that other collection -

This story stars Rachel, a security guard at a mall at Christmas time. She's grumpy because of all the arrests she's been having to make. While she's running around attending to 'incidents' she keeps spotting a specific boy all by himself in a toy store in the exact same spot, day after day. Near lego toys. Starring at them. If this was a story in one of the other collections I read recently, I'd know instantly what was going on (that or if I hadn't read this before) - ghost! But no, this is a Christmas collection, not one of my Halloween collections.

mmphs. How annoying. Apparently I got something in both of my eyes at the same time. They are both wet and stuff. No idea how that could have happened.

Rating: 4.8

15. On an Ocean of Skin by Laila Blake

A short story found within the collection 'Sweat' edited by ? (I can never figure out the editor for Ladylit books.

tags: chubby

Okay, story opens with a woman in a yoga studio. She may or may not be fat. And feels self-doubt and guilt for 'subjecting beautiful people to her presence.' She's there because she got 'something' related to the studio on her birthday. A voucher - 'Yoga for woman in larger bodies' (so she actually does inhabit a larger body, and it's not just her self-image making her feel fat).

hehehe. What a gift to get from your mother. I can just imagine the scene (well a scene, I don't know the relationship involved) - daughter - 'ooh, a card *opens, stares, sees 'Yoga for woman in larger bodies' thinks to self *my mother thinks I'm fat, thanks mom*

Interesting. Large bodied depressed woman, goes to yoga studio, meets - happy round woman as instructor.

Hmms. This be a really nice story. Quite . . . nice. A couple of word choices here and there jarred and pulled me from the story, unfortunately, otherwise I might call this one something close to 5 stars. As it is . . . . I'll call it 4.79 stars. *nods*

August 19 2016

16. Hammersmith by Michelle Grubb

A short story found within the short story collect 'Girls with Guns' edited by ?

Tags: Undercover, Police, London, Terrorism

As I mentioned, I’ve read none of these authors before, including Grubb. Hammersmith involves a woman named Belinda Riley. She works for an anti-terrorism unit in London England, specifically the unit that monitors the underground (as in the mass-transit trains that run underground; USA – mass transit trains running underground get called subways, not sure ‘underground’ gets used for anything in the USA (except, say, underground railroad (which, to confuse things, wasn't actually a railroad)); UK – mass transit trains running underground get called ‘underground’ (or ‘tube’), ‘subway’ is an underground passage for pedestrians to use. At least these were the definitions in use when I was in London in the ‘90s).

Riley is relatively new in the unit, though she’s been in the police for a while now. She’s 30, but can pass for 21. This is important, not specifically being able to pass as 21, but being able to ‘blend in’, to not look like an obvious cop. Because that’s what she does for half her day, ride around (or stand around on platforms) underground. Other half of the day is spent in training. Oh, and for those who recall the title of this book – ‘Girls with Guns’ and know UK police tend to not be armed, they have special units that are armed, well – as luck would have it, anti-terrorism is one of the units that are armed.

The story consists of Riley riding around on the train, and, separately, unwinding with her current new-ish girlfriend Esther (who is, apparently, around 36). Quite an interesting story, though for a moment there I was recalling how the first story didn’t have sex. And how lesbian romance/fiction tends to at least hint at it. And, for a moment or two, I was thinking that this story here, Hammersmith, was the sex part. Because Riley and Esther spend a rather good amount of time humping. But no, there is also police work as well.

By the way, I’m writing these notes before I’ve finished the story. Not sure how far along I am, though I could be close to the end (I was at the 40% mark when I wrote this sentence, and the story ends at the 63% mark). And I kind of got a feeling about how things are going to unfold. Though they haven’t exactly unfolded yet. As of now, Riley is on alert for a ‘cleaner’ (suicide bomber). And is following orders to get off trains, get on trains, etc.

Note: I read most of this story . . . um, I don’t know how long this story is. Okay, I read the start of this story while on the train. While Riley was on the train. Checking people out. Seeing if they might be a suicide bomber. Hearing something that heightens her alertness . . etc. Quite a way to heighten my own tension and the suspense of the story – to read that while actually being on the train. Conversely, I read the sex part on the train as well. Not exactly where I wish to read about someone being bent over, their pants lowered, and their knickers lowered, and stuff occurs.

More to come . . . now.

Baring the note about sex, I last left things with me hovering in the middle of the story with a strong sense of how things were going to unfold. I was both wrong and right. I can’t really say what I mean without giving too much away.

I feel like a giant hand picked me up, put me into a blender, then a giant finger hovered over a button for a while. Then pressed the button. That’s the way this story made me feel. Like I’d been blended. Or, well, like I’d been put through a blender.

I rather liked Riley. I’m not certain how I feel about anyone else in the story, including Esther, but Riley I liked. It was a rather neat story – the action and adventure, the twists and turns, the danger. Quite exciting. Can’t say anything about the sex, though. There were two sex scenes – one occurred while I was on a crowded train, and the other occurred while I was out in public eating lunch. So I mostly skimmed those parts to make sure I didn’t miss anything, but didn’t get too involved with the graphic sexual stuff. So I can’t say anything about the quality of that specific issue. I know people were dying to know what I thought of the sex. Hehe.

A good story. I’ll look for more by Michelle Grubb. If the story had unfolded the way I thought it might be unfolding I probably would have given the story something around 4 something out of 5 stars. Because it unfolded the way it did unfold, I’d give it closer to 4.75 out of 5 stars.

Rating: 4.75

17. Touch of the Traakyn by Sandra Barret

A short story found within the collection 'Spread the Love' edited by Astrid Ohletz?

Tags: Science Fiction, erotica

Well, I figured out why the one author who lists Erotica among their genres on their GoodReads profile didn't have erotica in their story (referring here to Bishop not Barrett) - I wasn't on the train. I've mentioned before that I have this odd track record wherein I'll read a book and nothing of a sexual nature will occur, I'll get onto the train and . . . unleash the sex! Shesh.

I mention this because I finally found the erotica in this book. After I got on the train. Started with this story here and continued through the last stories in the book.

This story here is the Science Fiction story of the lot. Stars as its main character a human female who had been in the military before becoming injured. I guess she's technically still in it - the book opens with her in the hospital being examined. Though she knows she's going into forced retirement shortly.

She's lost her foot, right arm, and part of her upper torso. Replaced with synthetic parts. Her girlfriend of the time couldn't stand the concept of seeing her with gold parts (the synthetics) and dumped her. Every human she runs across also reacts badly when they see her. So she hides away as much as possible.

Until one night she's in the hot tub and a voice strikes her ears. She's so used to people talking around her and ignoring her that she doesn't at first realize that she's the person being addressed. She looks up and kind of drools. A gorgeous woman is standing there barely clothed. The woman repeats herself - asking if she can join her in the hot tub. By the way, she has blue skin - the new woman.

One thing leads to another and the two become friendly towards each other. And as would be expected from my opening remarks leading into this story - there is graphic erotic depictions of 'stuff' that occurs.

Odd, for me, I rather enjoyed the story. And the graphic depictions of 'stuff'.

Rating: 4.72
Date Read: April 27 2016

18. Red Hot Neighbor by T.M. Croke

A short story found within the collection 'Spread the Love' edited by Astrid Ohletz?

Tags: erotica

Two women move in to the same house. The lead character is quite taken with the other woman, and keeps having to stop and watch her walk around. Then there's a flash back to when the two women first meet.

I liked the story. Well written. Though it's mostly an erotic story with graphic sex.

Rating: 4.67
Date Read: April 27 2016

18. Jaguar Light by Susan Smith

A short story found within the collection 'Absolute Power' edited by Erica Friedman.

tags: Magic, Fantasy, Portland, Superheroes/villains, Cat-burglars, werecats, Native, PoC

While impulsively robbing a museum, Jaguar is interupted by Bloodmoon. No, neither is a superhero. Bloodmoon is the NWVA secretary (North West Villains Alliance (I might have both the letters and title wrong)). She is also a magic user who had been looking for The Source for a while. Apparently she's found it. And she's going to use it to kill all power users who got their power through some means other than magic (meaning that Bloodmoon, and for that matter Jaguar, will retain their powers, but people like Lady . . . um . . Light . . . Lady Light? Whatever the name of the solar powered Portland hero goes by (I know one of the heroes is named Rain Man because a joke is made about that)). Bloodmoon lets Jaguar know about this because Jaguar was nice to her. Like a cat sometimes is - towards vaguely unremarkable humans.

Jaguar, while not informing Bloodmoon of her opinion on the matter, is vaguely horrified. She is easily distracted - she needs the Portland hero.

And so the story unfolds - a cat against a witch, with the appearance of a solar powered superhero.

Neat story.

Rating: 4.67

January 20 2017

20. Midnight Messages by Lois Cloarec Hart

A short story found within the collection 'When the Clock strikes Thirteen' edited by Astrid Ohletz.

tags:

This is one of those stories wherein it is hard to mention what exactly the paranormal nature of the story might be. The other two stories I've read so far are fairly straight forward in that regard. The vampire and werewolf nature of those stories was known more or less immediately and neither was exactly a twist. Here? I can't mention it - it is in fact a twist. There are some things I can mention though.

It is unfortunate that I do not know the age of the main character for one specific reason - I have a strong suspicion that she falls into an age range I do not normally get to read. I suspect that she is somewhere between the ages of 40 and 70, and likely somewhere around 55 or so - at a guess based on certain factors. She could be older, she could be younger, but not a lot younger.

That main character, Luce Sheppard, has had a long 'think' recently based on her circumstances. And she has come to a specific conclusion. Having reached said conclusion, she is able to have a relatively peaceful sleep that night - that is until she's startled awake by some noise around 4:44 am. At first she thinks it's her inconsiderate neighbor who is known for having parties nonstop at all hours, but then she realizes that the sound she hears is crying. So she springs into action.

Luce finds a young woman of about 16 years of age outside - soaking wet (it had been raining. She offers that woman, Keira, a temporary abode of safety. They have a long talk - much discussed, a good serious talk. Luce likes Keira, and her dog Ferron likes Keira as well. After offering Keira the use of some sweats and the guest room, Luce heads off to sleep. When she awakens, Keira - after having left a note - is gone.

And now I can't mention anything else (though I've probably already said to much, though there is a ton of good stuff I haven't mentioned), though the story doesn't end here.

I'd give this story a rating of 4.66

October 23 2016

20. A Witch in Arkham by Cora Walker

A short story found within the collection 'Less than Dead' edited by Samantha M. Derr.

tags: FF, witches, zombies, bisexuals, lesbians, Old Ones

Strange one - this. Alternate earth. One with Innsmouth and other such places. Well, action takes place in Arkham. Witch girl is in cemetery on a job - she's going to raise a really dead person to ask them a question about a century long inheritance dispute. Gets distracted when a ghost wandered into her line of sight. Her ex-boyfriend Marcus - dead three years now (and no, not the same Marcus as prior Marcus, and one of the reasons I'm not certain both were actually named Marcus). He has warnings. Involving a 'Michael', 'Phoebe' and 'Templars'.

Then witch girl spots a Templar and bolts (the magic users and the Templars/Vatican are not exactly best friends).

Quite an interesting entertaining story - once I got deeper into it. I'd rate this one something around 4.66.

October 8 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment