Monday, December 4, 2017

Sunstone, Vol. 4 by Stjepan Šejić

Sunstone, Vol. 4Sunstone, Vol. 4 by Stjepan Šejić

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


It's been more than 2 years since I last looked in on Sunstone. Since I read the previous volume. Reading my review for that volume, the third in the series, I remind myself that this volume here, the fourth, isn't the first volume I read for the first time in graphic novel form. But before I go down confusing lane, I'll just be blunter than norm: I read the first two volumes of this series as thy were created and posted on Devientart. Had access to more, but didn't read volume three until it popped up as a graphic novel. That one, volume 3, and volume 4 (this volume), were 'new reads' for me. Though I'd only read this one this morning - for the first time.

There's a personal reason why I stopped reading the series, and no it isn't the part where I originally thought the author was female only to be shocked to find that the author was a man (though that did happen - the having thought woman, finding out man); no it's the personal connection with my own life. Ironic, considering what happens in this volume and in volume 5 - the story that ends this volume and is picked up in volume 5 (which I'm reading even as I write this review here for volume 4. That personal connection is the part wherein, out of everything I've ever read, all those romances, and non-romances, the characters I most identified were the ones in this series here - for reasons. Specifically, I'll have to note otherwise this paragraph doesn't serve it's purpose, the two main people in the story-line - Ally and Lisa. They corresponded in weird ways to myself and someone else in my life. Who poofed on me. Which is the whole point of this paragraph - I'd seen this series with strings connecting it to my own life, but the connection was broken by that person 'poofing' on me, so . . . it was hard to get back to read more parts of this specific story here.

I rather assumed, based on the above and other stuff, that I'd probably end up rating this something nearish 4 (if that) stars. Because, hey, part of my enjoyment of the series was the part where it seemed oddly connected to my own life . . . and that was gone now, so..... But no, the humor wore down my walls, the plot and stuff broke the wall around my . . . um . . . something, emotions? And I rather enjoyed the story.

Bah, I'm not really saying anything about the book. Stuff happened, miscommunications occurred, flashbacks upon flashbacks occurred (the whole series is Lisa telling the reader the story from some point in the future - and occasionally things will/would appear out of chronological order, because the present for narrator Lisa isn't the present for story Lisa; plus there were many occasions when stuff was told that didn't actually happen, or, I should say, happened in stories, but the reader only learned that after the fact. I've lost this paragraph and this review.

Rating: 4.80

December 4 2017



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment