Thursday, December 28, 2017

Love Birds by Marian Snowe

Love BirdsLove Birds by Marian Snowe

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


After becoming captivated by a bird outside her office window, a woman begins a new adventure into learning more about nature, the outdoors, and, specifically, birds. The story unfolds as Alexandria Dunn heads to a nature preserve to hear an expert give a talk about a specific type of bird while, at the same time, giving a nature walk to point out said bird (and point out other birds along the way).

Alexandria heads off on her adventure without checking the weather – the nature preserve is about an hour or so away by car drive, and more than halfway there the sky opens up and rain starts hitting her wind shield . . . more in a drizzle than I’m implying. Though eventually heavier rain will appear before she actually gets to her destination. Once there Alexandria finds an empty parking lot, a locked visitor’s center, and pouring rain.

Eventually a woman rides up on a bicycle – unlocks the visitor center, and lets Alexandria in. Even more eventually – a ton more people show up for this birding expedition. Unfortunately, though, the expert can’t show up due to plane issues. So everyone but the two initial first arrivals to the visitor center depart. Nell, the woman who had arrived on the bike and who works there, is about to give Alexandria a refund but Alexandria talks Nell into giving her the tour.

The two go birding.

Everything is from Alexandria’s point of view, though aspects of both characters shine through. Both seem to be great characters, and a warm fuzzy time was had by the reader. Well, I mean specifically me, I don’t mean all readers will react the same as me. That’d be silly to imply.

I rather liked this first glimpse into a new to me author. As in, less vaguely, this is the first story I’ve read by Marian Snowe.

Rating: 3.88

December 27 2017




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment