Wednesday, December 27, 2017

My Forever Hero by Karen Legasy

My Forever HeroMy Forever Hero by Karen Legasy

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This book started off interesting and strong – from first meeting, to . . . well continuation of that first meeting, extended to shore. Then got annoying.

Right, so the book opens with one of the lead characters, Marlee Nevins, surfing. Or, more accurately, in the process of dying because she went out surfing without a surf buddy, got caught by the waves or something (rip-tide?), and is now drifting off shore as the book opens. Something like six hours later. No one around. Nothing around. Drifting. But then something appears! An angry looking shark. Which proceeds to eat her surf-board while Marlee tries to dissuade the shark’s advances by way of hitting it with her shoe. She’s saved from certain death by the arrival of a woman on a jet ski, Abigail Taylor, and her son in the massively large sail boat – Josh (the son is named Josh, not the boat, the boat is named ‘The Cavity’).

Abigail’s first words to Marlee was something like ’stupid tourist’ (or, perhaps, ‘Stupid Canadian tourist’), and their relationship builds from there.

Bah, I wish I wasn’t still suffering and ill. I’d write something grand, I’m sure. Mmphs.

My biggest problem with this book was the romance. As in – everything about it. Marlee found herself attracted to Abigail. Abigail both gave off every signal that she wasn’t interested, and bluntly told Marlee that she wasn’t interested – Marlee still forced herself onto her and kissed her, forcing her tongue down her throat. I mean, what the fuck? Abigail eventually comes around to the idea that maybe she is not actually straight, but that whole ‘lesbian converts straight woman’ story line reads like something anti-lesbians would put out as a scare story/tactic. ‘See! See, this is what lesbians do! *clutches pearls* They . . . *sobs* they force themselves onto good heterosexual women and . . . and . . . *sobs*’ Seriously, that’s the way the romance read. All the way up to Abigail suddenly switching to ‘oh, well, I do find you sexually desirable, what was I thinking, come here and insert your fingers into my vagina now please’ (not a line that actually occurs in the book, but there was a rapid switch). I mean, what the fuck? Marlee and Abigail displayed no chemistry. And their romance really just got in the way of what had started off seeming like an interesting book.

Oh, and remember how I noted that Marlee was also saved by Josh? The son of Abigail? While I had no desire to spend pages after pages with him, I still expected something a little more – he, conveniently, spent most of the book off with the father.

So . . . I didn’t particularly like the romance.

The best part of this book, if I were to insert something like that into all the reviews I wrote, would be the few pages wherein the two women played with kittens. I like kittens.

Rating: 2.8

December 27 2017



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment