Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The Cottage by Caroline Jimenez

The CottageThe Cottage by Caroline Jimenez

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I complained about the previous book I read, noting that a lot of time passed in it, lots of people doing things, living their lives, etc. etc., but the reader only saw something like 0.5% of any of that. I mention because this book is somewhat similar, not as compressed as 'Something for the Weekend', but still compressed.

As an example, I mentioned in my status updates that the book moved from 'let's roll around in bed together' to 'it was a month later' without any kind of break. Well I was wrong. That 'month later' stuff was at the start of the next chapter. Guess I didn't see that gigantic 'Chapter 10' written there. But still that's my point, no not the lack of break, I was wrong about that, but the part wherein they finally, after a lot of teasing, finally get to the bed and . . . it's a month later. I really have no idea how much time occurred in this book because this kept happening over and over again. Time just flying by. Skipping. It read like a highlight reel instead of a relationship - 'person A moves in; meet person B; they flirt; eventually (really long eventually) move past the 'is she even interested in me? part; skip to month later; relationship and family crisis etc. etc.' The highlight reel.

And there's a betrayal that occurs in this book. I really didn't like how it was handled. How everyone (well, it felt that way, maybe just the only people who commented on it), thought that it was the person betrayed who owed the betrayer the apology. And then . . . (view spoiler).

The characters had character and personality and stuff. This isn't a paper-thin book here. And there was a plot and stuff. Just certain things annoyed me and certain things were way over the top (I won't mention what I mean there ((view spoiler))).

Book is probably better than I'm making it out to be. I just hit that betrayal moment and didn't want anything to do with the rest of the book. But read it anyway.

Rating: 3.0

August 21 2017



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment