Friday, August 18, 2017

Sincerely Daniella by Eija Jimenez

Sincerely Daniella (Letters to War, #2)Sincerely Daniella by Eija Jimenez

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This is a 'funny' place I find myself in now. At about 36% into the story I made the brilliant and detailed observation in my status updates that "this series turned to crap." I know exactly what made me make that observation but it's one of those things that's so spoiler-y to mention that I don't even want to put it under spoiler tags ((view spoiler)). Of course, once I saw what happened, I immediately looked at the book description - if you haven't yet, don't look (stupid book descriptions including spoilers, mmphs). If you have, then you already know the issue. I, of course, didn't look at the book description before reading.

Right, sorry, that wasn't the funny place. No, it's that I had that thought 36% into the book and . . . seriously want, need, desire to break my own rules and put this book on my six star book shelf (which is supposed to only contain those books that I've both reread and feel are the best of the best). Seriously, I do wish to do that.

I'm not really sure what I can say without being spoiling things. Sure the book description spoils things, but I'm not the book description.

Despite the way the book opens, it continues close to where the previous book ended ((view spoiler)). Taylor's back among her fellow military unit in Iraq.

Sergeant Briggs has taken over for Sergeant Rick. And Briggs puts up a massive air of hating Taylor. Initially because she is a woman, eventually there's an air of terror created by how Briggs might, might know that Taylor is a lesbian.

Meanwhile Daniella is raising her adopted daughter (Jackie), while working through the procedures to become a foster mother.

Then the thing at 36% occurred and I can't actually continue saying what did or didn't happen.

One 'issue' that I had - I kept reminding myself, and feeling the need to remind myself, that the author is Canadian. Gave me certain breathing room in regards to certain issues that would pop up that I found . . . . odd, but I'd just let slip past (1: Sergeant Briggs is described as being from a long line of Generals and he really desires to become one himself eventually (but . . . but, he's a Sergeant! (there are such things as Mustangs - promoted to Officer side from enlisted side - not that such individuals have much luck raising all the way to General) - he's described as being old-ish (as in, even if he suddenly found himself doing that 'Mustang' thing, he doesn't have enough time to move up to General; 2: a fellow member of Taylor's team joins them in Iraq - he is described has having some family similarities to Briggs (as in long tradition of military service) which leads to - he's a recent graduate of West Point (which is where Briggs would expected to have gone instead of enlisting, especially with the help of the Generals background) . . . and . . . enlisted? West Point graduates officers not enlisted personnel; 3: the third one I can't mention because spoiler - ((view spoiler)))). But it has been a while since I paid attention, so the Military might have radically changed since I last looked.

Onwards. I have forgotten how I worded it in my review for the prior book. Ah. 'This is a great book all the way around, and I kept having to wipe at my eyes while reading.' This issue continued with this book here.

Loved the book, despite some things I saw along the way, and some words I might have expressed. Great book.

Rating: 5+++

August 17 2017



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment