Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Taken In by Erica Abbott

Taken InTaken In by Erica Abbott

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


On one level I don't really understand CJ. She's a strong woman . . . and yet she 1) in a prior book went off and hid for six months instead of confronting problems and/or telling her partner Alex . . . anything (but hey, okay, whatever, we all have issues and stuff); 2) curls into a ball and whimpers whenever the idea of her mother appears into her head (or, you know, into her apartment).

These thoughts, and more, are what filled my head when this book opens. CJ's mom suddenly appears after, what was it 14 years?, demanding, being a bitch, demanding, and CJ kind of cowers. But once we got past that (and me making a status update about angst and stuff), things actually got more interesting (and CJ grew a backbone).

The mystery of the murdered ex-wife of CJ's brother (the reason the mother turned up was to demand that CJ return to Savannah and 'save' her brother), was quite interesting and good. I'd hate to be related to that brother, but there were some redeeming moments here or there. The villain of the piece was found and wasn't . . . either 'stupid' (as in, 'what, them?') nor ... something I picked up on immediately. Despite some heavy clues laid out.

I liked the relationship that was shown between Alex and CJ, despite the fact that they were separated by a long distance. Alex's little subplots weren't exactly thrilling, but passed the time well enough.

I should probably make some mention of phone sex. Nah.

Rating: 4.30

August 15 2017



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment