Friday, May 4, 2018

On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8) by Julia Quinn

On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8)On the Way to the Wedding by Julia Quinn

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I mentioned in the previous review I did for a Quinn book that there were reasons for why it took me two years to get around to reading the last two books in this series. Well, I’ll mention specifically for this review the part where I haven’t exactly ‘loved’ the Bridgerton male leads. And Gregory hadn’t exactly impressed me in prior books (I believe he is a ‘kid’ in all prior Bridgerton books but for his nearest sister’s book, the previous book in this series, and the first book in the Smythe-Smith series where Gregory is still in college but is same age as lead female in that book).

Then the prologue, which I think I read two years ago, didn’t exactly lead me to scream ‘MUST READ NOW!’ No, it screamed ‘back away and flee’. Several reasons, I’ll just note: I do not like reading ‘prologues’ that take place in the future, and the rest of the book leads up to it (then moves past it . . . eventually). I do not like it in books, on television or in films.

No matter. Eventually I got around to reading this one, and, oddly, found it to be near the top of the Bridgertons books. Eh, don’t go by me though, I do not think other readers feel same way.

Right so. Gregory starts off the book . . . let’s skip the prologue. The book starts off with Gregory being told that he needs to do something with his life. Get a job, settle down. Something. Be serious about his life. Gregory promises to do so and has a vague feeling that he will, in fact, find his match – he’s a romantic, see, and expects to find ‘his love’ – who he’ll immediately recognize at first appearance, and both of them will feel it, feel the love. Well, he did have 6 older siblings (and 1 younger) make love matches, so . . . he’s been trained to be a romantic.

Naturally Gregory finally finds love at a party immediately after being told he needs to ‘grow up’. Gregory is beyond happy. He’s found his one. She . . . barely acknowledges him. ‘She’ being Hermione Watson. The woman with Watson, Lady Lucinda Abernathy, lets Gregory in on some secrets and tries to help him. Doesn’t seem to work.

Meanwhile the female lead of the book is . . Lady Lucinda Abernathy. She rather loves her best friend Hermione, but she’s spent her life in her shadow. Everyone wanders up and instantly falls in love with Hermione and only pays attention to Lucinda if they remember that friends might help ‘get’ Hermione.

There’s humor, blackmail, love, mistakes, etc. etc. throughout the book. And some rotten guardians (and siblings, Lucinda’s brother, who she appears to rather like, is a complete asshole to her – okay, maybe not that, but he’s a spineless fuck who doesn’t give a fuck if his sister actually has a season and stuff – just goes along with the guardian’s plan to marry off his sister, despite brother now being the titled person and the head of the family, but fuck responsibility, right? Pft. Guardian is their uncle, to just round things off.

Right, so, where was I? I liked the book. It good.

Rating: 4.75

May 3 2018




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment