Sunday, May 6, 2018

A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet #2) by Julia Quinn

A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet #2)A Night Like This by Julia Quinn

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I'll be quick, just a little note. Possibly more later. Possibly.

I spent the entire time reading this book, at least if you look at my status updates, noting to myself and others that I wanted to DNF the book after every page (or every other page). Then I end up rating this book 3 stars. Am I overly generous? Do I never give ratings worse than 3 stars? Of course not. No, the things I despised were relatively minor, but seen in both main characters (the man, Daniel, was overly pushing and demanding, kept grabbing people by their arms/wrists, and kept forcing himself onto a woman (who was 'beneath him', marriage wise, as in she wasn't the type to be acceptable for marriage); the woman, Anne, kept repeating to herself how unacceptable she was (that wasn't the issue I had), while, at the same time continuously melting into Daniel (that was the issue, though, oddly enough, that 'redeemed' the man to a certain extent, as there is every indication that Daniel would have pulled back and not continued his advances if he hadn't seen/heard 'something' from the woman (she did say please kiss me, and the like) - as an aside, it's good she did say stuff, there are way too many evil assholes out there who 'see something in their eyes' or body language or whatever that screams that the woman wants it - even if what they are seeing is their own imagination)).

Right. So. I had issues with both main characters. I had issues with Daniel in the prior book, and had issues with him here. He is a full on Earl, not heir, or in line, but an Earl. He spent 3 years in exile because of a series of stupid events likely to not have occurred if he wasn't drunk, and he injured his friend in a duel . . . and he still seems very immature no that he is back in England. At least he seemed that way to me. That's another reason I was having trouble continuing to read this book.

Still, I saw these things and the made it harder to read the book, but not impossible. Basically, what I'm saying, is that neither main character were characters I really wanted to spend time with. Yet I did. Then somewhere around 55% things morphed a little and my thoughts started to change. Then the final section of the book was this mad dash action type thing that was thrilling and edge of the seat type stuff, so . . . the book didn't redeem itself so much as the issues I had with it were reevaluated. And so . . . gave it 3 stars on Goodreads.

Rating: 3.33

May 6 2018



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment