Saturday, May 5, 2018

Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith, #1) by Julia Quinn

Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith, #1)Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I’m quite tempted to rate this book higher than I have. Though it’s a question of rating it 0.25 stars more than I have, or not – but that raises the rating on Goodreads from 4 stars to 5 (since I’m thinking of rating this either 4.50 or 4.75).

Right, so. I’ve now dipped into three series by this author. All of which are connected to each other. The first series I dipped into, oddly enough, is also one that I’ve only read one book by – both because there were no other books in the series when I started; and because, when more books (1 more) appeared, I . . . wasn’t feeling happy with the author and the book itself didn’t look that interesting. I mean, the concept from the beginning – the underlying theme, is lying (reminder: I’m not talking about the book this review appears on, I’m referring to the second book in the Rokesbys series).

Right, that’s a muddle, let’s try that again.

I’ve dipped into three series by Quinn. First series I tried was the Rokesbys series, a prequel series to the Bridgertons series. Loved the first book, but haven’t read any other Rokesbys book. Then I read . . . most of the Bridgertons books – all 8 of them. Most because I had to DNF one of them. Bridgertons being about, unless I confused myself, the generation of marriageable adults that came after the generation in Rokesbys.

This book here, the book this review is supposed to be about but hasn’t been yet, is a side series instead of a prequel or sequel series. As in, the events in this series takes place during the same time period as the events in the Bridgertons series. Barely, but still. This specific book here, chronologically, slides in-between book 7 and book 8 of the Bridgertons series. About three years, if I were to base this on the age of Gregory instead of dates since I don’t remember the actual dates, prior to book 8 (Gregory’s book).

Gregory and Colin make cameos in this book. Oddly, and I only really recalled it now – but Gregory got talked about a lot – invited to a party, was a member of that party, was talked about as a potential husband material . . . but didn’t really appear in this book. Colin, on the other hand, was never talked about – at all – yet had an important scene in the book. There might have been another Bridgertons pop up in this book, but I don’t recall any. The very old woman who feels free to say whatever she wants, but whose name now escapes me (Lady . . . Ddd . . d . . D something), also plays a somewhat important role in one (or two, but it’s connected) scenes.
The story is about … I hate when book descriptions fail to include the main character’s names in them. Bah. Honoria Smythe-Smith is the lead female character (and yes there are two points of views in this book). Honoria comes from a large family, just like the Bridgertons (I do not recall if an exact number was mentioned for Honoria’s family), but Honoria is like Gregory and Hynacith – near the end of the line (or the end), but unlike those two, she doesn’t have anyone nearish her own age. So she both experiences a large family and . . . being lonely in a large home – what with her older siblings off doing their own thing. She does ‘pester’ on of her siblings, though – mostly because he’s close enough in age, roughly 5 years, that she can try to do stuff with him. Unfortunately Daniel wants nothing to do with ‘Bug’. And would have nothing to do with her but for her persistence and the empathy of Marcus, Daniel’s friend from Eton.

Marcus, Earl . . . something or other, comes from a very small family. There’s him and . . . . there’s him. His father got his mother with child (don’t worry, they were married at the time), and when the mother died when Marcus was . . . 5? some suggested the father marry again to increase the number of potential heirs. Father, though, gazed upon his son and found him intelligent enough and stuff. And had no desire to reenter the marriage market and heaven forbid actually deal with another wife. He was content with just the one child. Not that he talked much him until the kid was about 12, whereupon the kid was mostly off at Eton anyway – so father and son rarely saw each other. Mother and son, while mother was alive, were also in favor of the stand-offish parenting style.

The book begins with Marcus meeting Honoria and her family, through brother Daniel – and being, basically, made a member of their family. That’s the prologue.

The actual story starts off with Honoria caught out in the rain in Cambridge, and being helped, temporarily, by an Earl – Marcus. They are still . . . friendly-ish, but they haven’t spent much time near each other for the last three years – ever since ‘that thing with Daniel’ occurred.

Marcus and Honoria reconnect. Etc. Etc. Honoria is in her third season and is determined to find a husband before the end (well, during it, the season hasn’t started yet). Her mother isn’t much help, though, because she’s become withdrawn these last three years – though there’s every indication that she was like Violet Bridgertons for her other children.

Those who have read the Bridgertons series will recall that the Smythe-Smith put on music recitals – and that plays an important role in this book as well. Well, it would have to since Honoria is a member of the performing quartet.

Marcus is strong, muscular, ‘with money’, and ‘highly titled, plus he doesn’t appear to be beast like (though no one seems to call him handsome, just not beast like). Oh, and he’s shy-ish and doesn’t like parties, crowds, London, or the ‘season’. He spends the book near Honoria . . . for reasons.

I rather enjoyed this book from, mostly, beginning to end. I was a little concerned, though, when the beginning didn’t see that humorous to me. Since the reviews seemed to indicate that this was more of a comedy than a romance book ()+––––––+

Dang it. My word processor just died. mmphs. Now I have to actually write in the box here on Goodreads. Though I was able to get the review up to now. mmphs.

Where was I? Book was said to be funny. I didn't see it at first. But was funny, eventually. There's a medical issue that crops up - I liked how that was described and even found humor there. As is somewhat normal, I kind of just skimmed along when the sex turned up - I do not, in general, enjoy reading the really long sex scenes this author writes, though there might occasionally be funny moments - more often there are . . . potential moments of me wishing to not continue reading due to the . . . stuff . . . let's move on.

I liked the side characters, for the most part, especially Iris and Sarah from the Quartet. Though I had trouble telling the parents apart - Honoria's, Iris's and Sarah's (were all of them there? I'm not even sure, though I know . . . um . . at least two mothers were involved in the story).

Rating: 4.50

May 3 2018



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment