Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Colorblind by Siera Maley

ColorblindColorblind by Siera Maley

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This book is about a young woman of 17 who has the ability to know when people will die. Not a date and time, not how they will die, but just the age. Which sits on each person’s forehead like a tattoo. The only way she can get away from knowing is to not look at a person’s forehead, but it is quite hard for her to not look. Even though it pains her each time. Even if the information she sees is something like ‘84’, stamped on a young mother with two roughly six year old children with her (both of whom have death ages between 51 and .. . I forget now, 80 something?); or spotting a young woman roughly her own age with the death age stamped on her of ‘16’. Painful, grey world she lives in (colorblind, the title, comes, I believe, from the fact that she, and the other person she knows who has this ‘special gift’ see the world mostly without color – grey, bleak, filled with death).

That ‘16’, by the way, is stamped on a young woman who the main character, Harper, runs across. She has a great first meeting with Chloe – well other than the part wherein she almost ran her over with her car. And, oddly, she doesn’t look at Chloe’s forehead until the very end of their first encounter, when the woman turns away from her and Harper catches what she thinks is ‘16’. She calls out to get confirmation (to get the woman to turn to her again) and, yes, 16. She’s meet this great young bubbly happy woman . . . who is shortly going to die.

Heavy, eh?

Weirdly, the only time I stopped reading was when I had to pause for a moment to put food into the microwave. But that was my only pause. I devoured this book. It is very readable. It made me laugh, it made me teary-eyed. Great great book.

Rating: 5.5

May 29 2018



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment