Thursday, May 3, 2018

It's In His Kiss (Bridgertons #7) by Julia Quinn

It's In His Kiss (Bridgertons #7)It's In His Kiss by Julia Quinn

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


There are two reasons it took me roughly two years to read this book despite already owning it for those two years: 1) my ratings for the Bridgertons series kept going down to the point I’d DNF’d the previous book; 2) Hyacinth didn’t really look like a character I wanted to read.

Strange what happens, eh? I rather enjoyed Hyacinth. And her friendship with . . . again I’m bad with names, but the really old woman who speaks her mind in this series: Lady . . . Dangerfield or whatever.

Hyacinth has been around for a while – season wise, without getting married. She’s had proposals, less and less as the years went by, but she’s had some. None, though, were from anyone she fancied. Hyacinth is generally . . . liked well enough by the rest of the ‘season’ people, but also described, mostly behind her back, as . . . well, the word isn’t used, but basically a shrew. Or, a young version of that woman I labeled ‘Lady Dangerfield’ above because I can’t recall her name. She’s attractive enough, but not a beauty, is intelligent . . . and knows it. Has something of a hyper-need to know everyone’s business. Etc. etc.

Because of reasons I won’t get into, Gareth St. Clair, the male point of view, is something of an outsider. He’s heir to a title, I don’t mean that, I mean he kept himself apart from others. He’s the kind who is, at least rumored, to prefer spending time with Opera singers instead of ‘the ton’. There’s reasons for that. Okay, I’ll mention: Gareth’s father loathes him, and when Gareth learned why, he rebelled.

Gareth and Hyacinth (gah that’s going to be annoying to keep typing that name I can’t remember how to spell) meet not because Gareth wants to reform himself, or because he decided to crash a ball and seduce one of the ton (‘ton’ – the upper class people who go through ‘seasons’ coming out and looking for husbands/wives through balls/parties/etc.) – because he doesn’t do that, he doesn’t seduce ‘proper’ young women, he goes for improper (not marriageable). No, the two meet because Gareth is related to that old woman whose name I can’t remember, who is also friends with Hyancith. They meet when Gareth goes to his grandmother (great?) on a visit and finds Hy there (I do not recall Hy getting any nicknames in the book). One thing leads to another and . . . no a romance does not bloom, no a friendship erupts. Kinda. They are friendly with each other (also, they first meet at one of those Smythe-Smith music things, I forgot that; though Gareth did, accidentally, bump into Hy when she was reading to Lady D), but not romantically interested in the other. Until . . . they are.

I liked the book. I liked how it broke down. I can’t remember if this is the book where the male lead did something detestable, which made me lower the rating, or if that occurred in a different book. Mmphs. That’s what I get for taking so long to write review, and reading so many Quinn books in a row.

Rating: 3.75

May 3 2018




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment