Saturday, February 24, 2018

Supergirl: Age of Atlantis by Jo Whittemore

Supergirl: Age of AtlantisSupergirl: Age of Atlantis by Jo Whittemore

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Reasonably okay Supergirl story. One specific reason why I call this reasonably okay instead of good, though I'll mention that later.

I had two specific problems enjoying this book more – 1) I knew going in that this was a young adult book – geared for people younger than me. Though I thought it’d be geared more the level of, say, 1980s Star Trek media-tie-in books (which most libraries I spotted the books in would put the books in the juvenile section). Instead, well, I just didn’t realize that the book was geared more for people in the age group below young adult. Assuming the definitions of young adult I’ve seen apply – ‘targeted at ages 14 to 21’. This book here, instead, was geared for people aged 9 to 12 (grade level 4-7). And the book really did feel that way. Both from the overall tone and story, and the numerous ‘lesson’s people learned along the way. 2) Even considering that the book was geared towards people younger than me and that might have an impact on how I interpret things and ‘they’ interpret things, I’d have to say that the ending action scene was a little messed up – which is where that ‘reasonably okay instead of good’ comes in. And where I now mention what I mean more specifically. It’s not even plot holes, but the way the story was told in a specific series of events.

(view spoiler)

Right, so. As noted: this book was geared for people much younger than me and it read that way. There were many lessons to be learned by most of the characters in the story. The action had some odd weirdness in it. Most fanfiction seems to make Mon-El out worse than he actually appears on the show, and this book here makes him out slightly better than the tv series shows him. So, I mention that to note that Supergirl’s heterosexual relationship with Mon-El was quite relevant to this book. Alex and Maggie’s lesbian relationship was included but in a barely there, blink and you’d miss it way. Though that’s kind of the nature of the situation – Supergirl is the main character, everyone else are side characters. And Mon-El is quite important to her, while Maggie, Alex’s girlfriend, is not. I mean not at the same level.

Rating: 3.0

February 21 2018



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment