Friday, February 23, 2018

Neck Deep by Sophie Lack

Neck DeepNeck Deep by Sophie Lack

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I hate when I forget to review a book. Which is why I, randomly, gaze about my shelves to see what I’ve read recently and what doesn’t have a review. Whereupon I saw this book here with the review column empty. Pfft.

Genre: Fantasy – mostly confined inside one city-state (Praza)
Setting: Not earth
Of note: I rarely read books involving vampires that are set on ‘not earth’ locations. Not exactly sure why that is – I’ve read many shifter books set ‘elsewhere’ but . . . well there’s this book that has vampires in a not earth setting and . . . can’t think of any other work. (view spoiler)

Story: Elanna, while not immediately obvious, is an elf. She’s also blind, though the kind of blind that can see. Heh. Though she sees things differently than those who still have eyeballs – she sees . . . light, and colors, and . . . impressions. She has the ability to ‘tell’ if the ‘thing’ over there is an elf, vampire, hunter, etc. etc. by the ‘colors, scars, etc.’, and has the ability to ‘see’ through walls to see what’s going on in various rooms. Oh, and she’s an assassin.

The book opens with Elanna in a bar talking with a ‘hunter’ – a religious fanatic who believes all creatures that are not human are evil and must be killed. With slight exceptions – like Elves are near the top of ‘vaguely acceptable’ list. The hunter, whose name is, I think, Oren, wants to hire Elanna to hunt down and kill a vampire. Which she has no problem doing – for the right price. Oren gives her a bag of gold and says he’ll give more after the fact. Elanna says she’ll get the job done within a week – possibly even by the end of that night.

Elanna promptly gets bitten by Valia, the vampire (also an Elf), and turned into a vampire.

After a bunch of back and forth, Elanna joins Valia on her hunt of Oren. Some feelings between the two women also begin to develop.

A quick satisfying easy read. I do not specifically recall if there is or isn’t graphic depictions of a sexual nature, but I do see the book on at least one shelf titled ‘Great Sex’ so . . . there probably was graphic depictions of sex in there. I assume that the sex was neither disturbing to me, nor exciting/arousing/whateverthefuck as I didn’t even recall if any sex occurred and it has only been two days since I read the book and I recall everything else about the book (including the part where we have yet another awful mother in lesbian fiction scene).

Rating: 3.8

February 23 2018



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment