Friday, February 9, 2018

Sumter Point by K.G. MacGregor

Sumter PointSumter Point by K.G. MacGregor

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This is the story of Audie, ~24/26, and Beth, 32, who meet through Audie’s grandmother. Beth, you see, is a nurse who works in a nursing home and Audie’s grandmother has recently suffered a stroke bad enough to require a stay in a nursing home. There’s a slight chance the grandmother could get better, but that’s more wishful thinking than anything else.

The two women know of each other before this meeting, but in the normal course of events, neither would likely have run into the other. It’s true that both are lesbians and both live in a small town, but Beth’s the home-body type, the kind who prefers quieter things, while Audie’s the kind who seems to spend every night, not really but close, in night clubs taking drugs, drinking to excess and going home with whichever willing woman catches her eye that night.

I could probably do a better job pinpointing Audie age but it’s something ‘nearish’ what I’ve put down. In addition to any issue that might come up based on the differences in ages, and there are stuff (mainly Beth’s several time comment about being maybe ‘too old’), is the part wherein Audie’s the same age as Beth’s sister – the same sister Beth raised. And when you get into a kind of mother/daughter type situation with someone, and someone else is in the same class/age as that ‘daughter’ . . . well, that complicates things further.

There’s something about Audie’s character I wish to comment on, but I can’t think how to do so. Something about how parts of her character I’ve encountered before, but not all together in one person. A wild party-animal who also has responsibilities that she takes on and fulfills and . . . stuff.

Bah, this, I can tell, is going to be two reviews in a row wherein I’ve very much said nothing and written uninteresting stuff.

Right, forgetaboutit.

I liked Audie and Beth’s intermingling. The slow build up to friendship that morphs into something more. I especially like Beth’s new cat, Black Demon. And that’s all. I should probably cut everything else and just have this one paragraph be the review.

Rating: 4.33

February 9 2018



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment