Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Humanity for Beginners by Faith Mudge


Humanity for Beginners
by Faith Mudge
Pages: 71
Publication Date: February 13 2017
Publisher: Less than Three Press
Series: --

Review
Rating: 5+
Read: February 28 2017

*I received this book from NetGalley, and Less than Three Press in return for an honest review.*

I believe that the most recent werewolf story/book I read I made some comment about how it had been the best, or among the best or . . . well, I've this vague recollection I made a comment like that regarding a werewolf book relatively recently. I've also relatively recently rated two werewolf books close to 3 stars, so I've not exactly gone out of my head regarding werewolf stories.

Why do I mention that? Why do I start off my review that way? Simple. I surprised myself here. I, somewhat randomly, looked at various books/short stories on offer on Netgalley, saw this story here, thought it looked interesting, and read it. And, I have to say, found myself in a warm fuzzy place that actually made me teary-eyed at a few moments (no idea what that's about, maybe my eyes are off). And, not only do I have this vague feeling that I've just read one of the better werewolf stories I've attempted, I also feel as if I've read one of the better lesbian stories. I do not wish to use the word 'best' or 'one of the best' as I seem to be miss-using that phrase/word lately. But . . . something like that.

The story? Something like a slice of life look at a group of women living and working in England. At a bed and breakfast (there was some comment that flew past me without me paying much attention indicating that it was something different than that . . . but I might have misread that). All have some 'issues' they are attempting to get through, pasts to live down. A lot of those issues occurred/developed because of another thing all these women share in common - they are werewolves.

There's Gloria, the 'not-the-alpha' who owns and runs the place, Nadine the chef, Lissa & Louisa who are loners/and or newly bitten (within six months) who are the waitresses (and have been circling each other. Then there's . . . the gardner man. Who is human. And whose name is escaping me for some reason. mmphs. Then there's Eben, another human, who comes calling one night looking for someone.

Lovely story. As mentioned, warm and fuzzy. Fun. Unexpectedly explicit briefly (I had accidentally mixed several book snippets together and forgot this one did have that bit about 'some explicit content'). It probably hit me differently than someone else, especially if they read it after reading my review. Since I wasn't expecting anything and they would be (it's one of those 'went so far and then . . . new scene' type of explicit action).

I've never read anything by this author. I now desire to dive into their work and hopefully find some more interesting stuff.

Rating: 5+

February 28 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment