Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Death by the Riverside by J.M. Redmann

Death by the Riverside (Micky Knight, #1)Death by the Riverside by J.M. Redmann

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I had not planned to start this book almost exactly 3 years after I first read it. A trick of fate, in a way, had me start the reread on February 13 2017. I had started reading the book the first time February 12 2014 – and ended it on the same day, different year (February 14 2014 vs. February 14 2017). Weird how things like that can happen.

I initially rated this book something near 3.75 out of 5.00. It’s been three years, but I’ve a vague idea why – all that sex. Coming from a history of reading Robert B. Parker, Dick Francis, Lillian Jackson Braun, Agatha Christie, Beverly Connor, Aaron Elkins, Erle Stanley Gardner, Dashiell Hammett, Peter Lovesey, Carol O'Connell, and others, I was used to a certain type of mystery – it could be cozy, it could be hard hitting/violent (and some downright abusive to their lead characters (looking at you Connor)), but it hadn’t exactly been drenched with sex (with sexual innuendo, yes, but not actual sex). It’s not that I hadn’t read that type of work, or that I didn’t have some ‘favorites’ that were ‘drenched with sex’, but not in my mysteries. So, in its way, I was confronted with a book that seemed quite well written, right along the line of some of the better written mysteries I’d read, but for two differences – the graphic sex, and the lesbian (or bisexual) nature of many of the characters. And no, I did not down-rate the book because of the lesbian nature (though I was aware that its existence among the traits of the characters would cut down on the readership), no, it was for the sex.

Imagine my surprise, in its way, when I reread the book. Yes the book has much sex in it, but it was handled a lot ‘better’ than I had recalled. I never thought it was the main theme, reason for the books existence, or other, more that I’d initially saw it as a distraction. But it isn’t really. It’s important to the story.

Ah, but I’m just babbling here. You want to know about the book? The story involves a rich family with an older dying grandfather type. And some kids running around trying to keep themselves in the will. Against the backdrop of a rather conservative grandfather. So no gay stuff. There are three main contenders for the money, one already took herself out of the running by bluntly telling her grandfather that she was a lesbian (this would be Cordelia), while the other two lied and tried to play it straight while secretly living a much . . . gayer life. So that’s how the story starts off – someone hires Micky to search for a runaway fiancé; some pictures are taken, some wills are changed; and other such stuff occurs along this plot line.

Meanwhile, somewhere along the way a detective sergeant friend adds Micky to go undercover to investigate a company that is suspected as having big ties to drug running (as in, they a drug dealers) – which leads to some connections to the earlier plotline and others.

Meanwhile – Micky drinks a lot, is a dick to her friends, has some emotional issues based on her disrupted early life, and some old history resurfaces. Oh, and she has sex. And solves mysteries. Also spends a lot of time accidentally destroying clothing.

Long and short, this was altogether a very interesting and good book. My only regret is that I initially gave this book such a low rating.

Rating: 5.0

ETA: Micky ages from 29 to 30 during the course of the book (no, the book isn't a year in Micky's life, she was just close to 30 when the book started) - I mention because the book is on both the age-20s and age-30s shelf.

February 14 2017



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment