Friday, February 10, 2017

Magnetic by Robin Alexander

MagneticMagnetic by Robin Alexander

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I've been burned by some Alexander books. And I've been greatly overjoyed by some. I think that's why I have both a reluctance to read, and a strong draw to read this author's works. So, what happened this time?

I mean, I did just read another book by this author that I wanted to put on my top shelf but couldn't (because that's only for rereads, something I haven't yet done for an Alexander book) - and I do get 'burned out' at times. So . . ., I'm not sure there's an 'obviously' here. I'll note that that other book, 'Next Time', was one of the funniest books I've ever read. And this one? There was a point where I actually thought to myself, somewhere mid-stream, maybe late-ish in the read, that I hadn't so much as giggled. At least didn't recall doing so. So . . . (now we can do an 'obviously', right?). Late in the book there were some rather funny moments, so it wasn't completely humorless.

Right, sorry, I've dragged this out too long. This might be one of the best romance books I've read. Not really sure how or why that occurred, but it did. And almost everything about it screams that it's the kind of story that I'd run away from, or, if I saw the right type of hints, add to my 'not read because' shelf. Yet . . . I loved this romance. So, yes, this is yet another Alexander book I wish I could put on that top tier shelf, that six star one. Instead I have to content myself with placing it on my 5+ shelf.

The story? Well, a top level executive, the kind who basically works non-stop, is in Detroit about to do a presentation. Her six year long relationship comes to a close right beforehand, though, via e-mail. She then hooks up with a woman who pushes the right buttons, and she pours all the passion and desire into that hook up that has mostly been missing for the last six years. She then leaves, expecting to never see this woman again.

Something like a month later, Layne's boss (this being that hard charging woman's name) forces her to take a two week vacation. He 'misses his tiger' or some weird wording like that. With great reluctance, Layne goes on said short notice vacation. She brings along her three best friends. Two of them are a long term couple, third is a player. That player, though, has been in a 2 week vacation - completely unlike her. And her girlfriend turns up at the airport before they fly to Florida. That girlfriend is the woman Layne slept with in Detroit. Stacey. Both are shocked at seeing the other. The vacation goes on. Much tension.

Layne, it would appear, now finds herself having 'feelings' for a woman who is a girlfriend of one of her best friends. She's in a very bad situation now - and she can't get away from it, much as she tries. Every time she turns around, she runs into Stacey (almost literally, it was Stacy who, while jogging, ran into Layne, that one time).

Events unfold. Stuff happens. Weirdly, for me, I found it to be a great romance. Also, weirdly for me, I actually read the graphic sexual scenes while in public (something I've commented before on - that I seem cursed to always have those scenes come up while I'm in public, and so I tend to skim them). Less because I wanted to specifically read those scenes, and more because I wanted to read all the words on the page about this somewhat different romance.

By the way - I've made comments here and there, noticing certain things that this author likes to include, little hints here and there that it is an Alexander book (humor, location, old grandmas, etc.) - well, I know and felt that I was reading an Alexander book, but I didn't feel as if I'd already meet any of these characters before. Nor did most of those other little bits of other stuff turn up (except for the Louisiana part). This is something I noticed, but now forget how I wanted to make note of it in this review. Um . . so . . that occurred? heh.

Rating: 5+

February 10 2017



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment