Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Season's Meetings by Andi Marquette

My fourth short story read today, and second involving a Christmas theme. Odd.  Right, so, this is another of those free short stories findable on the Dirt Road Books website.

Rae is attempting to fly to California to be with sister and her kids for Christmas. But the story starts with her at the airport watching as her flight moves from delayed to cancelled.  While waiting in line at the airline desk, Rae interacts with ‘art gallery woman’, aka Erika.  They flirt.  Rae isn’t 100% certain if they are or are not actually flirting.  She does feel sparks in her intestines though (well, sparks are mentioned, I forget where they were striking her). 

Luckily for Rae, the mountain of snow fell on the airport where she lives (well, she lives in Washington DC and this is Reagan she’s at, but it’s one of the two regional airports, if you don’t include BWI, which is really close, really, so there’s like – at least, three regional airports, though I say regional but I think all of them are international. Is Dulles considered International? I don’t remember.  Ah, it is, though Reagan is considered national not international; did the story call Reagan an international airport? I don’t’ remember).

My reviews sometimes seem like I just opened my brain and dumped whatever was in there onto the screen.  They ramble, but, no, there generally is some filtering. The above was an example of the unfiltered version. 

And now I’ve forgotten what I’ve written.

Rae, while at Reagan National Airport two days before Christmas, watches as the announcement board moves her flight status from delayed to cancelled. There’s, like, a mountain of snow outside.  She informs certain people, like her sister, before moving over to the airline desk to see about what’s next.  While in line, she interacts with a woman she calls ‘art gallery woman’ because of the way she’s dressed.

Later, Rae gives Erika a ride from the airport to her, Erika’s, hotel.  And they interact/flirt more.  A spark is sparked.  A fire is fired.  A pickle is pickled. Okay, I do not know where I’m attempting to go there.

Now this one, of the four short stories I’ve read today, is the fullest most complete short story that I’ve read. Today.  Quite satisfying.  Not sexually explicit.  Except for the kissing. 

Rating: 4.44

March 28 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment