Monday, March 26, 2018

Coming to You Live by Mira Grant

I mentioned in a status update that this story would need a very good ending for me to give a rating higher than 1 or 2 stars.  The ending was on par with the story.

On the one hand, I do not really understand the point of having this story, on the other hand – of course, people are curious about the ‘afterwards’ part.  It is somewhat unfortunate that the fourth book in the trilogy (heh) that followed a different group of people was set in the same time period as the first book in the series, otherwise it would have been the perfect book for a little cameo ‘this is what they are doing now’ to occur. That’s ‘easier’, in a way, than a full on story.  At least for me.  Otherwise you get a story like this – one that many liked, but that I didn’t.  It was way too wordy, I mentioned in the same or different status update I’ve already referenced, that the used 99.9% more words than it needed to (actually, I worded it differently – that it could have been told with 99.9% fewer words).

Long and short – not a story I needed, and I realize that it is my fault that I read it. I read it because I generally like, no, love the short stories that got released along with the ‘trilogy’.  But, not really a story I liked – and I kind of knew hat going in (and no, I am not rating it the way I am because of preconceptions, otherwise the short story I read between finishing this one and writing this review would also have a rating around 2 stars, instead of 5).

ETA: putting this review into the review box caused me to look at my shelves. You know one of the reasons I probably didn't like this story? Spotted it when I spotted what I'd already put on my shelves. 'Zombies'.  'Horror'.  There is psychological trauma and a bunch of PTSD going on in this story, but no horror, and the only zombies representation was one wolf (if I recall correctly - Shaun is mentioned going out and 'getting' various types of zombies, animal or human, but the reader doesn't see that, just told.  So this really was a navel gazing story with no action.  I'm going to have to take a ton of shelves off this book I'd put on preread.  No this isn't a horror, no this isn't a zombie book, it's barely post-apocalyptic - only that because . . . it is, but . . . bah).

Rating: 2.0

March 25 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment