Monday, March 12, 2018

A Princess in Theory by Alyssa Cole

Didn't like either main character (or any of the characters, for that matter).  One was a weird mix of stubborn push-over; other was a stuck up lying asshole who did everything he could to do creepy things (keep touching the female lead, despite Ledi not wanting anything to do with him at the time; it was a constant and incredibly off-putting thing - he just wouldn't stop touching her, at every opportunity, gripping her, caressing her, etc.; it was 'okay' because 'she liked it' even though she was in the middle of her 'I hate him and I've told him not to touch me' phase; and what the fuck was up with taking a donkey up the mountain - one donkey?  Obviously SUV's could get up there, they had to dodge around one when they got to the village; and he admitted that he could have gotten another donkey but . . . fuck I hate this fucking asshole. I loath being touched and this guy . . fuck him).

A lot of culture clash here - between the characters, and between the characters and me.  I felt no connection to the Prince, and the only thing similar to me and the female lead was instantly rejecting the emails from Africa from 'a Prince' (seriously, though, why the fuck did she not block the email address?  She gave some lame reason in her brain, but shesh). 

Culture clash is okay - I've met up with it a lot in reading - expands the mind and all that crap.   My problem was that I just couldn't figure out the lead female character. She was all over the place.  A stubborn push-over, who had walls around her heart, but let everyone in and push her around, and abuse her.  Um, wha?  I'd a better understanding of the Prince - he has a rich, spoiled life, but also great pressure (both from being the 'sole-heir' (seriously? You know who is 18th in line for the British throne? David Armstrong-Jones - and why do I mention him? Because he is the Queen's sister's son; point being, kingdoms never have just one heir, hell, most of the conflict, if you look at history - especially the part where the Kings/queens/princes/etc. had actual power, was because heirs to the throne were fighting each other, and with the current holder of the throne). 

I completely forgot where I was going in the last paragraph. *rereads*

Right - I understood the Prince's character better than Ledi's character.  And he's literally from a completely foreign alien culture in more ways than one.  While Ledi's grew up in and is currently living in the city I currently live in - New York.

Bah.

Rating: 2.4

March 12 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment