Monday, October 16, 2017

Winter Fae (Northern Wolves #3) by Debra Dunbar

Winter Fae (Northern Wolves, #3)Winter Fae by Debra Dunbar

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This is one of those where I'm not certain if I want to rate it 3.5 something or 3.75 something, so I rate it 3.5 for now.

I liked Dunbar's Imp series, really loved that Imp. These side stories fluctuate in my response to them. I think there's just the one I DNF'd (previous story in this specific off-shoot series, though there's one I speed read through (1st in this off-shoot series). While, at the same time, my favorite book I've read by this author, if I recall correctly, is the stand-alone off-shoot from the Imp series that, in turn, lead to the Northern Wolves series. That specific book is why I keep reading more stories in this specific series. I had an issue with the first one because it was just an extension of a secondary coupling in 'Northern Lights' - a coupling that could just as easily have been wrapped up in that book instead of becoming an off-shoot short story. Second story, bah, I can't specifically recall now why I wasn't able to complete it, though there's vague recollection that I despised both main characters. Which leads us to this story here - the Winter Fae one.

Oddly enough, one of the other reasons that I went down this Northern Wolves series was because I had seen a description of Winter Fae and rather wanted to read it. And figured it'd be better to read the others first. Didn't really help, on one level, because I kinda dislike the main male character in this book (a guy who kept whimping, mentally, about how much of a gamer loser he is; and who kept pinching himself, literally, because this 'gorgeous woman' wanted anything to do with him - that personality got old fast, though wasn't specifically on display in previous stories, but he himself was there and not specifically very likable). I liked the female fae, though, so that's good.

If not for the second story in this series, that Rogue one, I'd say that I appear to like the author's female lead stories more than her male lead ones. Since that Rogue one was female lead. But the Imp series is mostly from the Imp's point of view, and . . . well, um, drat my brain is leaking out of my head for some reason so I move on.

Right - story - the male wolf, the pilot previously seen in the series and whose name may or may not be something like 'Dustin', leads off this specific story. While in the process of delivering people around Alaska, he spots what appears to be an overturned truck with an injured person nearby. Naturally, therefore, he lands his seaplane on the snow nearby and hops out to help. And, naturally, he gets shot for his troubles. Normally, being a werewolf, being shot is annoying, not deadly. Except these are those magic bullets seen throughout this series, and there's a good chance the fellas going to die.

Except the wolf, or the man transformed into wolf, drags self to a hidden sanctuary area. The woman who built the place finds the wolf and attempts to heal. Binding both of them together. Later she comes to realize that the wolf/dog (she's not sure what the creature is specifically) was not in fact a canine (or not only that) but also some kind of human. Since she found said man, naked, where she'd left the dog in her dwelling.

I interject to note: good grief that guy thought about his erection a lot (he, naturally, had an erection when the woman found him there).

So - werewolf meet a new creature to this series; though the reason why I wanted to read this book - the woman is a fae. And, as has been stressed, an elf and a fae are not the same thing in this series world. Fae are in there own little place, Aerie, and are largely not encountered by others.

Despite kind of disliking the main male in this story, the story was entertaining to read and passed the time well.

Rating: 3.5something

October 16 2017



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment