Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Cheerleaders From Planet X by Lyssa Chiavari

Cheerleaders From Planet XCheerleaders From Planet X by Lyssa Chiavari

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Weird messed up book.
...

This is the first book I've read by this author. And I went into the book the wrong way. See, I'd seen a quote from the book and I found it quite humorous, add in the book title and I assumed that this book would be another lesbian science fiction humor book (you know, to add to the other two (or so) I've read). but this isn't a humor book, and the quote isn't actually funny when read in context. mmphs. So I read this wrong.

Well, that and I kept expecting things to line up to what that quote seemed to be suggesting. Or, in other words, I expected some kind of alien invasion that would be need to be fought against (possibly by superheroes), and that the aliens would be in cheerleader costumes (reminding of an arc on that 3rd Rock from the Sun show, where aliens arrived in the form of supermodels). But . . . that was also wrong.

This is one of those 'things are not what they seem' type books, but I hadn't expected that things like 'genre' would be part of that 'not what they seem'. Oh, right, that's why I started this paragraph that way - because this is one of those 'things are not what they seem', I'm not sure how to describe this book.

hmms.

A 19 year old college student is home on break from college. For a week or so - or that's how long the break was scheduled for. While on that break, occurring before the start of this book, several family members got married; and the main character's house is now overrun by relatives. Vast majority of whom have some connection to the Philippines. Including the main character. Whose name happens to be 'Laura Clark', so I can stop saying 'the main character'. Right, so, Laura Clark has a mixed background, which includes, among other things, Filipino blood and some blond haired white dude's blood. Which, of course, is important.

Right, so, college break. While sitting on a bench (I think), Laura watches a cheerleader rocket by on a skateboard and do some awesome moves. On the city street. And by 'rocket', think 'like there were mini-jets under the skateboard'. Shortly thereafter, while taking a train back to college, Laura sees that same cheerleader on the roof of a train. Coming towards her own train.

Awesome opening. I looked forward to more story involving Laura and the hot strawberry pony-tail cheerleader from Planet X. ..................... with a side of humor .......... Pony tail was not, in fact, the love interest in the story. Sooo....

I know I'm going against everyone else who has read and rated this book (for the most part), but I did find it a good way to pass the time (well, that gives wrong impression, no, I meant the others loved the book, for the most part, while I just found it a good way to pass the time). Just wasn't what I had expected. And had kinda less action than I expected (along with less humor). Based on some things I'd read, I hadn't expected much in the romance department, just something resembling something, just not a major thread. Which worked out well for me.

(view spoiler). Though that's kind of one of those things you learn earlish in the book. (view spoiler) That uncle sure was a dick.

(view spoiler). Not that the other relatives, that had lines and scenes, weren't also somewhat stupid-headish. I suppose that other uncle, Tonio, who marginally helped her was an okay dude.

I should have left this review at what I'd originally wrote. Those few words. Indicating . . . stuff.

Rating: 3 something.

October 11 2017



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment