Monday, October 23, 2017

Edge of Glory by Rachel Spangler

Edge of GloryEdge of Glory by Rachel Spangler

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Starting off in a way I haven't in a while - I've read 6 of this author's 11 full length novels, and 7 of the 14 works (which includes at least 3 short stories). ETA: hmms, it's been almost exactly a year since I last read a book by this author.

There's already a good review, one that lead me to buy and read this book (plus some others I need to read now), so I'll just toss a few pros and cons into this box here.

Pros:
-
characters
(I rather liked the two mains, Elise and Corey; and, for the most part, liked the family/friends/trainers - Nate, Paolo, Holly, Nikki)
-
characterization

-
communication
- there were several occasions wherein a 'misscommunication' might have occurred, but the two leads actually talked to each other and 'defused' the tension ((view spoiler))
-
Romance

-
Sports action/description/etc.


Cons:
-
Communication issues
- it is a rather common trope to use, probably because it occurs in real life relatively commonly, maybe not always in the nature seen in books, but some form of it; after seeming to handle the issue well in this book, it popped up again to derail things - though here it probably was both handled better than I might have expected (well, other than the part where it moved from misinformation to disinformation; moved from not talking/not opening self up to another; to actively conveying wrong information), and directly played upon the personalities of the characters, and had a natural negative/positive impact on the story-line (I suppose this would make this some kind of middle thing, between con-pro).
-
characterization
- one specific issue - Paolo is Argentinean. The horrors. Heh, no, that's not the issue. The issue is that his ability to speak coherent English seemed to fluctuate in this book, and at times he seemed to be edging towards caricature-zone.

Rating: 5+

October 23 2017



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment