Saturday, March 18, 2017

To Sir Phillip, With Love With 2nd Epilogue by Julia Quinn

To Sir Phillip, With Love With 2nd Epilogue (Bridgertons, #5 & 5.5)To Sir Phillip, With Love With 2nd Epilogue by Julia Quinn

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Somewhere around the 51st to 61st percent mark, I had been seriously considering this work to be quite close to a 5 star work. Maybe something closer to 4.75, but that just means I'd put it on that shelf (4.75) while giving the book 5 stars on here, GoodReads.

Then something occurred, something I can pinpoint exactly but can't mention for spoiler reasons. That moment occurred and my opinion of the book steadily worsened to the point I kind of just numbly read the epilogue, then read the second epilogue that dealt with a different character.

The first half of the book had it's gloomy moments, I mean it would have to with it starting with the death of the lead male characters first wife - by suicide. But, for the most part, there was much humor, much fun, much . . . exciting and interesting times. But then (view spoiler) And no, not that that occurred, that was just when the tone shifted. Everything became a super melodramatic . . . . book after that.

And yes - that's what the second half of the book was like. To be fair, as noted, there was an underlying layer of gloom from the beginning - and not just because it started with the first wife (who was also the 8 year old twins mother) kiled herself, there was also the part wherein the husband had no clue how to be a father and so avoided his children. But still, first half of book - humor and stuff; second half - melodramatic drama.

The second epilogue - that part of the book that had been previously published elsewhere but is now tacked on the end of this book here and involves a different lead character (one of the two twins) - was an alright story.

The magic I felt for this series had already started to recede, hence my taking so long to read this book here (well, to read the rest of the series, I didn't read this book here until now because there was a message on Amazon about how there were problems with the file format and the publisher had been made aware - so . . . I skipped this book and bought the rest of the books in the series. And then proceeded to ignore those books. Until I spotted this one here had been 'fixed' and so . . . ..)

Rating: 3.24

March 18 2017



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment