Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Taste by Kris Bryant


Taste
by Kris Bryant
Pages: 240
Date: October 18 2016
Publisher: Bold Strokes Books
Series: None

Review
Rating: 3.5
Read: September 7 2016

*I received this book from NetGalley and Bold Strokes Books in return for a fair review.*

This is one of the few times I am able to say 'I've read everything written by this author'. And, quite frankly, if that hadn't been the case, there is a good chance I wouldn't have 1) attempted to read the book; 2) continued the book but for that fact.

A combination issue. I read and enjoyed 2 of the three previous books I'd read by this author (and the third did get 3 stars). So I immediately put 'Taste' on my 'to-read' pile, and eagerly awaited it. So - my point is that I only barely glanced at the book beyond the cover and some vague idea it involved food. And chefs. Otherwise, if I'd looked closer, I might not have read the book. Teacher/student affairs are not really my thing. - that's the 'attempted to read book' part - I wouldn't have, if I had looked at a description mentioning 'teacher/student'. And the opening was such - a student more or less openly lusting after the new gorgeous teacher - almost caused me to skip the book - but for the fact I'd read and liked the author before (that and the part wherein I got the book via Netgalley and therefore had to give a good faith effort at reading the book).

Ah, how things could have worked out.

One of the things I dislike about teacher/student books is the simple part that a reoccurring theme seems to occur - it almost always seems to be the case that the two (who are both adults) are lustful over the other, and one is inches away from moving beyond the forbidden zone. Like here. Wherein the two would only have to wait two months before acting on any lustful thoughts (yeah yeah, I know, that hard). There always seems to be that dynamic - borderline free to pursue each other, but not there yet; both interested in the other.

I believe I might have been closer to a five star book, though probably not that high, if things had been as they were in the book, but instead of Ki (the student) going after Taryn (the teacher), it had been Ki (the student) going after Taryn (the student) - as in, move Taryn to Mary's place in the book, and move Mary to the teacher role - still have tension, drama, angst - what, then you'd have both competing for the same scholarship, both adults - mostly keep them as being the same characters after the shifts from teacher/student as they have in this book (age, daughter, otherwise; the difference would have to include some change wherein Taryn moved from some high paying prestigious job to school for family reasons (like actually happened in the book), but have a change in that prestigious job (since a high level chef working in a high class restaurant does not move from that to student at a chef school).

It's not like that isn't already the theme of the book - changing careers. Ki was on the way to becoming a lawyer when she shifted to pursuing cooking; Mary herself moved from nursing to cooking. So a change in career is already a part of the story-line.

Why am I going this direction instead of just switching to Mary being the love interest? Because I actually do like Taryn and Ki together, and the kid, Olivia, and their interactions and stuff. And I do not really know much about Mary (other than . . . ., what me give everything away?).

Bah. I mess up review. I move on.

I liked most of the characters. Olivia the 6 going on 16 (daughter of Taryn). Taryn the prestigious chef, mother, and teacher. And Ki, the student chef.

I was thinking, as I was reading, that that tension of 'taboo' student/teacher stuff can add it's own level of angst/drama/tension so that that could be the 'tension' in the book without having to add other things to add drama. As long as a line isn't crossed. I should mention that I wished to kill my reading device several times while reading this book - take that as you wish.

Oh - I loved the part wherein Taryn was from South Africa. I just kind of randomly declare. Added something, it did.

Well, I depart. I eagerly await 'Forget-Me-Not', the next Bryant book.

Oh wait - hmms, I'd give this book a rating nearish 3.25 to 3.75 depending on my mood about the lines that were crossed. Speaking of which - there's a ton of sex in this book.

September 7 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment