Saturday, September 3, 2016

Five-Star by J. Santiago


Five-Star
by J. Santiago
Pages: 301
Date: September 6 2016
Publisher: ASJ LLC
Series: None

Review
Rating: 5.0
Read: September 2 to 3 2016

*I received this book from NetGalley and ASJ LLC in return for a fair review.*

A few notes:
1) hard to write review without spoilers for . . reasons

2) be careful about expectations and categories with this book.
this is a slice of life book that includes college football, a coach, a coach's daughter, and a top tier football QB. There is some sports action, but very little on field stuff. There is more than one couple involved in this book but I would be hesitant to label this a capital R Romance (because of the 'rules' of the top Romance publishers when it comes to Romances). Though there is sex and a bit of romancing. There is also a bit of 'timing matters'; & families can be good and bad.

3) I spent a certain amount of time, while reading this book assuming that I would rate this around 4 stars, but it grew on me and I rather enjoyed it.

4) As far as I know, no LGBT person or issues occurred in this hook (though there was one joke that I do not recall completely involving a question asked in a joking manner without expectations of a yes answer - 'what, are you or Tilly gay?')

The book follows several people's point of view, though 'stars' mostly Amber Johnson and Tank Howard. Amber being an early 20-something young woman who had just recently been in a fatal car accident. Well, recent enough that she is still rehabbing from it, but the accident might have been a year ago (or 6 months, I forget if it was specifically stated). While rehabbing she also makes a few extra dollars working in a bar.

Meanwhile Tank Howard is the 'five star' of the book title. As in he is a five star football athlete. Don't ask me what that means exactly. Though I know that means he is a top-tier football talent/prospect. The book opens with Tank at a press conference, as a high school student declaring which college he will be going to. Because of fairly obvious reasons, Tank ends up at a college he did not expect when the morning began that day - a small school with an unimpressive football program, though it is division I. or 1. Or . . um, something. Tank ends up playing for a guy most people seem to call 'Franco', since that's his name (last name) Franco.

Coach Franco also has a point of view in this book, and even, somewhat shocking me since I hadn't realized what kind of book I was actually getting involved with, sexual encounters. Coach Franco has a daughter that most do not know exists (ETA: this may or may not be needed to be noted, I noticed just now while rereading my review (9/9/2016) - Coach Franco does not have a sexual relationship with his daughter. I felt the need to add that now because I realize I go from 'shockingly, Franco has sex' to immediately state 'Franco has a daughter not many know about').

There's a tradition that exists with the football team that Tank is on, a tradition stretching back 20 or so years - the team goes out for drinks before the season starts (I believe that it is after the first preseason game -though the story that gets told about the first outing - 20 yeas ago, seemed to indicate that it occurred after the first practice). I mention because that night Tank and Amber meet for the first time. With Amber literally falling at . . . well, not really at his feet though that's what he says later, and I think the description says that as well. Not important. Tank was sitting. Amber was working and then had to go back to the kitchen. Tries to get around a huge football player who was kind of blocking the way. Touches him. That guys girlfriend charges forward and grabs Amber's arm. Amber collapses and literally passes out.

Tank and Amber then proceed to circle each other. Amber is reluctant because Tank is a football player, and she's had some bad luck with them. Tank's reluctant because Amber is bitchy - though that also intrigues him to a certain extent - since he can and does have any other woman he wants.

It should be noted that there is also a 'Molly', a compliance officer at the school. Mentioned for various reasons but also because she and Franco also have a 'circling each other' thing going on. Plus, one of the oddest things I've seen occurs with Molly - immediately after seeing his daughter being carried off, presumably for sex, Franco goes and has sex himself. Apparently for the first time in 2 are more years. That . . . kind of felt vaguely icky to me. hehe. 'I see my daughter is getting some; I'll go have some myself!' hehe - no that isn't actually either his thoughts, nor his thought process. But yeah, Franco and Molly also circle each other in this book.

There are other couples and/or groupie hook-ups, but none of the others have POV people, so I not mention them more than that they exist.

This was an interesting book. I enjoyed it. Somewhat unexpectedly enjoyed it. At a 5 star level. I reiterate that you, reader, need to be careful of categories with this book. Because it isn't really a Romance book, though it has romance in it. I think one of the other reviews hints at or mentions what I'm indirectly getting at - there are certain 'expected' things that occur in Romances - this is not a capital R Romance under those 'rules'

September 3 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment