Thursday, August 25, 2016

Just my Luck by Andrea Bramhall


Just my Luck
by Andrea Bramhall
Pages: Unknown
Date: September 2016
Publisher: Ylva Publishing
Series: None

Review
Rating: 3.33 out of 5.0
Read: August 24 2016

*I received this book from Ylva Publishing for an honest review*

I was in kind of a battle with this book. The opening almost caused me to run screaming int eh opposite direction, what with the way everyone was talking directly to the reader, and stuff. But I'd loved everything I'd read by this author, and I'd wanted to read this book for a while so . . . I reluctantly continued.

Over time either the things that annoyed me lessened (well, specifically the things from the opening section), or I just got used to it, as the book continued/progressed. There were other things that annoyed me here and there, but there were also some super funny moments of joy.

For the most part I liked the main characters (the two with POV's - the office worker (Logistics officer, or whatever her title was) - Genna, and the sex worker (heh, I make a funny) Abi (she made a few extra bit of money by being a phone sex operator)), and the important side characters (like Genna's mother, and Rosie - Abi's daughter). Never particularly liked Claire, Genna's BFF. And never liked Ruth (Genna's ex-girlfriend), though I wasn't supposed to like her.

The story was interesting enough, the the back and forth depressing thoughts the two had were tiring. I wanted things to progress already, get past this stage of 'I love her but she doesn't love me' that both were hiding in - mentally. Then they got past that stage. And . . . I kinda got bored. Then relatively rapidly frustrated by the conflict points that developed. Bah, that's me. I'm sure others wouldn't feel the same way.

Well, long and short, my head hurts now from all the antics of the book, and I'm happy to have completed it. I'd probably give this book a rating somewhere around . . . hmms . . . 3.3 to 3.33487. Which is something of a come down from the prior two books I'd read by this author - both very solid 5 star works (and probably slightly higher than 5 stars). On the other hand, there's a slight chance I'd now moved this author to a set of higher standards to meet. So maybe my rating might have been higher otherwise. Then again, I did start off by noting that if not for having loved this authors works in the past, I am not sure I'd have continued after that opening section. And so . . ..

August 24 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment