Sunday, July 22, 2018

The Lady Most Likely... by Julia Quinn, Eloisa James and Connie Brockway

The Lady Most Likely... (Lady Most..., #1)The Lady Most Likely... by Julia Quinn

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This book involves a roughly week long rural party in . . . I believe the Yorkshire area of England in 1817. The party occurs right after the end of the season – which, in itself, is different from the norm in books I’ve read – I’ve read books that have rural parties pre-season, and season parties, but I’ve rarely read a book where a party took place after the season ended – as the ‘better’ people are heading back to their rural hide-outs, I mean estates.

The reason for the party: Hugh, an Earl (Earl of Briarly), has informed his sister, Caro, that he wants her to put together a list of women for him. Women he could marry (well, obviously, just marry one but …). She informs him that the season just ended, and also that she’s confused for he never pays attention to society, doesn’t care about being proper or his seat in Parliament or any of that stuff, so what gives. He . . . etc. etc., point is that a man wants a wife, asks for help from his sister Caro, and their female friend Georgina. A party is then held at the Finchley (sp?) estate (Carolyn is married to a guy with the last name or estate name or title name of Finchley).

The first part of the book follows the first woman on the list, the most attractive woman of the season. Gwen. Also follows another man who hasn’t spent a lot of time looking for a wife, though he seems more interested, than Hugh, in his position in life, and being proper and stuff. He is also an Earl. Something like Earl Charteris. Charteris is at the party because he is a family friend and he’s there with his unmarried sister.

The first part was written by Julia Quinn, an author I’ve read before and generally enjoyed. For the most part. I liked the story shown, and the characterizations. I rated it 3.88.

The second part of the book is written by Connie Brockway and follows a Captain Oakes (sp?), who had been invited to the party by Caro as a potential love interest for her widowed friend Georgina. The other main character in this section is Kate, the second woman on the ‘Hugh’s list of women to court’.

Part two was a decent enough story until certain events occurred that I couldn’t stand and I had to stop reading. I just can’t stand men manhandling women, and I’m not talking about the Captain’s need to keep grabbing and carrying Kate around without first asking her permission (I’m more talking about him locking her in rooms without her permission). I gave this one a rating of 1.80.

Third part of the story finally follows Hugh as lead character, and Georgina. Another decent-ish story, though it includes several tropes I can’t stand and refuse to stomach in romance books: 1) woman says ‘no’; 2) man continues whatever he was doing that caused the woman to say no, pays no attention to it at all; 3) woman enjoys whatever man was doing.

I do not really give a fuck if the man is rough, gentle, or whatever. But why do we even need this dubious consent mixed into the story? For fuck sake, the no came after Georgina herself, without any persuading, stripped naked to go for a swim in a pond – knowing Hugh was nearby and probably would also join her in a skinny dip. And suddenly she’s saying no to him when he kisses her? Because they are in public? I hate her for her stupidity, and I hate him for forcing himself onto her when she said no. Still, actually completed this section and stuff. Part three rating: 2.80.

Overall: 3.88 + 1.80 + 2.80 = 8.48/3 = 2.83.

July 22 2018




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment