Sunday, July 15, 2018

Fearless by Robin Alexander

FearlessFearless by Robin Alexander

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


You know the previous book I read to this one? That’s right, Soulshift. Wait… heh, oopsie. I thought the previous book I read was the newest Alexander book. See, now that just blows away my planned opening to this review. pfft.

Right, so, I was in the middle of reading a book (literally), when I just couldn’t take it any longer and had to jump to a different book to read. I had been reading the second book in Missouri Vaun’s ‘Return to Earth’ series, though it was the third I’d tried in that series (since there’s a prequel I also read). I generally enjoy Vaun’s works, so I’ve not put this one on my DNF shelf yet, but I needed something else to read.

Having recently read a new Alexander book, yay new book!, and having recently been glancing at quotes and reviews for other Alexander books, I figured I’d do something I rarely did in the past but is a frequent go to now – do a reread.

Fearless is a book I loved so much after I read it that I wanted to do an immediate reread. But I somehow held back. As each new Alexander book popped up, and was instantly read by me, I’d turn to this book again to see if now was the time, but no . . . not yet. I had ‘just’ read it in September 2017, I needed to give myself some room.

So, needing a book to read, I gave myself the green light and dove in.

It shows me taking two days to read, though that’s more because I keep having to break away to clean and box stuff (I cleaned 7 hours today, I very tired).

Fearless is the story, for those yet to try it, of two opposites who bump into each other on a cruise ship and immediately . . . hate each other. Literally bump into each other.

The book opens with Falon Whyte having an argument with her girlfriend (Leanne (sp?)). Leanne’s pissed because the cruise isn’t a lesbian cruise; Falon counters with 1) scheduling didn’t work out for that one and work; 2) there are a ton of lesbians around – it is a LGBT cruise. One thing quickly leads to another and before you can sing that famous song ‘Toot Toot’, the two year relationship was over. Falon leaves the ship cabin to do stuff like eat a mound of onion rings (which she couldn’t while dating Leanne), and drink.

Meanwhile, Haley’s pissed off that her roommate, her best friend’s cousin, has once again locked her out of the cabin. She’ll have to spend something like her third night out on the deck sleeping in a chair (luckily she meet a nice man she likes; both of them are not sexually interested in the other, by the way).

While heading to her sleeping spot, Haley angrily rushes through a door and a drink gets spilled on her. She immediately demands that the other woman tell her her room number so that she can send a laundry bill. The other woman asks for a new drink since this one cost $12 and it was that other woman who walked into her. Haley rushes away.

Falon, it just so happens, was that other woman.

The second time the two meet, Falon has the word ‘Ass’ written on her forehead. Haley gives her thumbs up in approval of her self-awareness of her nature.

The third time they meet, Haley is kind of having an out of body experience – she’s been talked into going on a zip line experience and Haley is in a fog, a horrified fog. She misunderstands what people are saying around her, and she ends up riding with Falon (there are in separate ‘chairs’ but the zip line sends people down two at a time). Haley, to show how out of it she is, was supposed to go with her new male friend, but couldn’t be coherent enough when questions were asked and accidentally said she was a single rider.

The two, once on the ground, continue to argue and march around. Then a man asks for stuff (in a 'my hand is in my pocket, pretend it's a gun' way) – in the middle of the two arguing with each other. One thing leads to another and . . . . the cruise ship leaves without them and now they are stranded.

Eventually the two end up at a hotel/inn/bungalow type place with a mobster looking guy in charge. A sweet mobster with a NY accent.

Any other set of circumstances and the two women probably wouldn’t have given the other the time of day (well not literally, but . . . bah). But they were forced together, they learned about each other, and they grew closer.

I once again rather enjoyed the two main characters, and their friends (well, Haley’s best friend is a bitch to Falon but . . . reasons and stuff).

Great book. Lots of great humor.

I’d originally listed this, seconds after reading this book the first time, as being in the top three of the books written by Alexander that I’d read. I was wrong at the time (as my comments show me) as this was in the top 4 of the books I’d read – at that time.

If I was to make that list again today, it’d be:
1) Patty’s Potent Potion
1) Next Time

Gave both of these six stars on reread.

3rd) Fearless
This one ends up ahead of a few others rated the same because I’ve read it twice (and gave it a 5+ rating both times) while similar rated books have only been read once.

4th) Temporary Girl
4th) Kellen’s Moment
4th) Dear Me
4th) Magnetic

All read once, all rated 5+.

I’ve reread 4 Alexander books by this point. The fourth, first that I actually reread, isn’t on this list. I’d rated it 4 stars on the reread, which is actually an improvement on original 3.5 star rating. Pitifully Ugly isn’t 8th on the list of favorite Alexander books, as there are other once-only reads rated higher than it.

Rating: 5+

July 15 2018



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment