Friday, July 27, 2018

Curious Wine by Katherine V. Forrest

Curious WineCurious Wine by Katherine V. Forrest

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This is the second library book I’ve read in a long time. Second library book since I moved. And, oddly enough and unexpectedly, both include a wlw or f/f plot-line. One has that as the main theme (this book); other has that as a subplot (Mira Grant’s ‘Into the Drowning Deep’).

I’d like to say something along the lines of ‘this is the oldest lesbian fiction book that was both a romance and one with a ‘happy for now’ type ending’ – unlike lesbian pulp that I’ve read that tended to have unhappy endings, and/or if there is a happy ending, it definitely didn’t involve two women together at the end. Except: neither of the main characters (though only one has POV) are lesbians before meeting each other; both show signs of being much more likely to being somewhere on the bisexual scale than lesbian (as in, both still seem happy with the idea of sex with men, though one might have decided that they are all the way lesbian now – the one without POV thoughts, so not sure; other though is in the ‘I find men attractive, no woman – but for you’ column). Sooo . . happiest oldest, in publication terms, bisexual fiction? Something like that.

I really need an f/f shelf so I can look for those books. Since bisexual fiction ‘doesn’t rest upon’ lesbian fiction shelf (unless I’m 100% certain a lesbian is 1) involved; 2) has POV -> neither is present in this specific book; I’m not 100% certain, and the one that might be a lesbian now, does not have POV). I make that comment because I’m now going through my Lesbian Fiction shelf looking at publication dates.

Neither of the first two I’ve read fall inside the ‘lesbian pulp’ genre, but neither have happy outcomes for lesbians. Then a bunch of lesbian pulp books (~6). Then the ones I read published in the 1980s, which includes this book here. Including this book here, I’ve read four published in the 1980s lesbian fiction books – and only this one has a ‘happy outcome’ for lesbians, the other three were lesbian mysteries by the same author as of this book here.

Right, now that I’ve lost everyone . . this book here…

A massively huge number of women, at least it appears that way at first, spend a few days together at Lake Tahoe in Nevada. Millie, Madge, Chris, Liz and . . . I think Vivian are all friends. Vivian (who annoyingly includes her own name in her conversations; ala ‘Vivian is happy to see you’, though she does occasionally use I) isn’t staying at the cabin owned by Liz, and so I’m not sure if she actually is one of the groups friends – though I assume she is and that is why the main and only point of view character is staying at Liz’s cabin – Diana Holland. No one staying at the cabin has meet Diana before, though some information about her past has been shared by Vivian with Liz. Another guest, not yet named, is also brand-new to most of the group. Lane Christianson was invited to join the group by her friend Madge.

I’ve a vague idea that Millie might be in her twenties, but everyone else is somewhere between 34 and 54 (give or take ten years, though on the upper end).

As noted – all are there for a few days vacation, all but Diana there for skiing (Diana doesn’t ski, when the others are skiing, she drives to town to gamble). Also, as expected, all of them . . . wait, what’s this? Completely confusing me, when I came across this information . . . every bloody single person, including Vivian who isn’t staying at the cabin, is 100% heterosexual. And talk a lot about men. And screwing, and stuff. Most have boyfriends or husbands. For example: Diana, the POV, just broke up after a long term (5 year?) relationship with a man named Jack who cheated on her; she’d also previously been married (for 7 years?).

So, I entered this book expecting to find lesbians in this lesbian fiction book to find a bunch of disgruntled heterosexual women. There’s a lot of drinking and drug partaking, but no that does not lead to ‘accidental’ woman on woman action.

Two of the women, though, seem quite taken with another woman at the party. Happily both have fixated on each other (as opposed to other members of the vacation party). Weirdly and conveniently the two share the same upper loft sleeping area. Before either even think of using the bed for anything more than sleep, both suggest ‘sharing heat’, or whatever words they used, by using that bed instead of having the other back in the other room (which wasn’t really described but seemed small, cramped, and might not actually have a full-fledged bed).

Events conspire to have both become huggy/consoling the other. Kissing breaks out. Groping as well. When Lane starts pulling on Diana’s pj bottoms, Diana has a ‘holy fuck, I’m NOT A LESBIAN!!!!’ moment that causes Lane to stop her actions. And Diana to flee (the next morning), even though her body is screaming ‘please continue this new experience with the other women. PLEASE!’

Diana grapples with the idea she is/isn’t interested in Lane. Gazes upon other women while gambling. Finds none attractive, sexually. Spots men. Finds them sexually interesting. So much so she goes to one of their rooms. Whereupon . . . well, I’d not normally state this spoiler opening, but it’s important to note that a dubious consent (‘can there be consenting rape?’) moment occurs.

One thing I haven’t mentioned yet. I’ve indirectly noted that this book was published in the 1980s, but did not mention when the book was set. If I recall correctly, the book was set in 1978 or 1979. A time I’m much more able to except the concept of ‘noooo I can’t be a lesbian!!!’ reactions. What with society being quite negative, and even the somewhat underground books for people of a certain persuasion were . . . quite negative about lesbians (see: lesbian pulp). Basically, what I’m saying is that, in the exact right circumstances a positive vibe might have developed for a specific woman in this era, but 99.9999% of women, even if they come from a family that’s deeply to the left, politically, are going to fear finding themselves being attracted to women. Or, at least, that’s my understanding. I was not in my mid-30s in 1978 (though I was alive in that year).

Right, I went into that long diversion because I needed to note that this specific trope comes up a lot in lesbian fiction. It is something like . . . required, almost, that the books be about two non-lesbians who find each other then realize, reluctantly, that they might like women (at least there’s a ton of lesbian fiction that goes that route; I’ve also read a ton involving women 100% okay with the idea of being attracted to women and having relationships with women who find women who are similarly 100% okay with the idea). I’ve forgotten how this paragraph started. Certain tropes annoy me in lesbian fiction; based on certain factors, it is easier for me to ‘accept’ these tropes, since they are probably closer to reality than many other possible paths.

This was an interesting book, though hampered by being a solo point of view book. Also too large focus on men and humping men. But no matter, still interesting.

I rated this book 3.5 (as in put on that shelf), though now that I come to the part where I actually rate the book in my review, I’m not actually sure what to rate it. So 3.5 it shall be rated.

Rating: 3.5

July 27 2018



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment