Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Magnetic by Robin Alexander

MagneticMagnetic by Robin Alexander

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


In my most recent Alexander review, I noted that this specific book was tied for fourth favorite Alexander book. Mostly because it was originally rated, on first read, 5+ stars and because I'd only read it once.

Well, the book was not as fun this time around and I'm tentatively rating the reread 4.25 stars.

Here's where I'd list/remark upon/note why I might have found myself rating this book lower than my first read. Harder to do now, unfortunately, because I'm in a transition situation in which I moved from a barely habitable super hot apartment to a hotel to a really long car ride of a thousand or more miles to a temporary home and eventually to a new apartment (though that won't be until sometime in September). So . . . it's hard to focus my energy on things like why I feel certain ways about certain issues - book-wise.

I know I didn't find the interactions between the friends, girlfriend/one-night-stand/love-interest to be as interesting as in my first read.

So, in a nutshell: Woman A gets dumped via email (or was it a text?) while on a business trip to another city. Woman A gets some heavy flirtation from Woman B - Woman A calls herself Chloe, though lied. Woman B only called herself Stacy, as in only gave first name. Woman A & B have amazing sex together. Then A leaves before B wakes up the next morning. Neither has the ability to contact the other. Both have developed certain feelings for the other based on this one night stand.

Layne, aka Chloe, is forced by her boss, I-do-not-care-about-his-name, to go on vacation. Immediately (basically he is an asshole, majorly). Layne turns over plans for the vacation to Molly - a friend who is recovering from cancer (if I recall correctly). Molly, Molly's significant other (whose name now escapes me), Layne, and their fourth friend, fourth-friend (unfortunately the friends names are not in the book description and I did not name them in my previous review). Fourth-friend (Rhonda? Rachel? Rebecca? Monique? bah, let's not even try to remember, mmphs) brings along her new girlfriend - though she's already broken some records in how long she's been around - since fourth-friend is a serious player type who runs when things get boring.

That new girlfriend? Well Layne and her friends meet up at the airport. While there Layne meets the new girlfriend - the same woman she slept with a month or so back. Naturally a bad situation all around. Compounding the bad situation: Molly chose a vacation almost guaranteed to be the opposite of what Layne might have liked on a vacation (lazy cruise ship) - a vacation at a horse ranch type place in Florida in nature.

Stuff happens. There's some humor. The end.

Rating: 4.25

July 19 2018



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment