Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Lost & Found by J. Holland

Lost & FoundLost & Found by J. Holland

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This is the second time I've read this short story. Freed from the weight, if any, that bears upon me when required to do reviews in an ARC situation, my mind can wander free. Okay, that's stupid - I don't allow ARC's to weigh me down or keep me from rating/reading/reviewing however I want.

Right.

I love the people in this story, and the story itself. While it's a tiny little thing, a short story, and while I feel as if the story probably shouldn't be rated so highly, it's hard for me not to do so. Especially as the actions that unfold are so fun to watch unfold. Especially as some of said actions actually cause me to become teary-eyed. And so I'm left, once again, rating this five stars on Goodreads.

But what else? It's five according to the number of stars I click on here at Goodreads, but what shelf do I put this on? 4.75? That's still considered five stars (by me). 5? 5+? 6? It is a reread, and therefore the six star shelf is now available for occupancy for this specific story (and all rereads).

I'm sure I already mentioned what this story is about in my other review, but if not: a selkie/wereseal finds humans fascinating, and so finds herself spending time near them. Eventually getting an odd job at the library (she gets $20 to put books back on shelves). And then, horrors, after her work day is over she finds that her wooden chest has been removed from her hiding place on the beach. The chest containing her seal skin - that allows her to become a seal and frolic in the sea. Gone. People in the town suspect she's homeless. Well . . . she is now. All but what's on her back and in her pockets were in that chest - most importantly the seal skin, but also most of her money, and most of her clothing (plus odds and ends like seashells). That's one point of view - the selkie.

The other point of view is a chubby young woman who owns and runs a bakery. Her point of view starts with her almost dying on a beach. Or, at least, she thinks she is dying. Opening a new bakery required some testing of her food . . . hence chubby. On the other hand, she has the strength to easily lift and move 50+ pounds of . . . stuff (like sugar and the like). Well, point being that she decided to go running. And almost died. While trying to recuperate, and while flinging her arm out in a 'I'm dying' pose, her hand slams into something solid. A wooden chest. Being that she loves collecting things from beaches, and being that a treasure chest brings back fond memories from childhood, she naturally removes said treasure chest and takes it home with her.

The two women's lives and paths merge when the chubby one (the seal-woman has an athletic build) tries to go running again. And stumbles across a woman swimming naked in the ocean. Naturally . . . she flees, literally, running hard in the opposite direction.

Well, they meet again and the baker human helps the homeless woman. Gives her food and shelter. A bond forms.

Rating: 5+

July 17 2017



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment