Saturday, July 29, 2017

Exodus by Debra Dunbar

Exodus (Imp, #8)Exodus by Debra Dunbar

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Okay, so book 8, the last one available for me to read in the main series line. Ah, I’ll start with that.

This is a series that has many many ‘other’ side books that got published along the way. I’ve read none of them. As such I can’t really say how much I missed by not reading them, but I can say that Sam, as the main character, likes making a lot of references to stuff that occurred to other characters which I assume got detailed in other books. Like Dar suddenly found himself in Chicago doing stuff with an angel – mostly mentioned and unseen (but for glimpses) in the main series, but there’s a book that showcases the two of them – Dar and . . . I think it is Astra. And the ‘half-elf half-demon’ woman, Wyatt’s sister, also has her own series – and is largely only seen in glimpses in the main series line. And there is one or more stories involving Nyala (Wyatt’s other sister). So the series Imp, has at least three series that are involved – Imp itself, Half Breed (Amber, the half-succubus half-elf), Northern Wolves (I’ve no idea who all appears in this side series – oh, I think it might involve that wolf pack up in Alaska that Sam bumped into in one of her books) – and stand-alone stories involving side characters (so, three series plus, as noted).

Enough of that. This book here – Exodus. As everyone knows, the Exodus refers to the time when Moses led his people from their slavery in Egypt to their freedom in the desert. Wait, no, that’s not what this book is about. Let’s try that again.

This book, titled Exodus, does involve a migration, though it involves the migration of elves, not Moses people. This is a story line that actually continues from the prior book – which reminds me – yes, read all the Imp books in order – in which the Elves laid the groundwork to migrate to Earth.

At the same time that Elves are sneaking across the border (so to speak, though Sam does make a joke about building a wall around Hel (where both Demons and Elves live (as well as others like Dwarves and some humans)), civil unrest continues in Anaru (however the Angel spirit realm is spelled). This leads Sam to spend time in this book trying to find people to help her with the elf issue (finding and deporting them), and the Angel war issue (trying to create an army despite the fact that no one in Hel actually cares that she’s called the leader of Hel among the Angels).

So, Sam’s hoping around on earth (Iowa, France, Iceland), in Hel, and in the Angel realm doing stuff. Oh, and there’s both a cute baby dragon, and a less cute adult dragon in the book. Fun times. Sad that I now have to wait for book 9 – if it actually exists, the series page on GoodReads lists a book 9 and 10, though no covers, no dates, and no information really, about those books – to appear. Or I could read the side books. Maybe. Problem there is that I like Sam. I’m not sure I’ll like Amber’s stories, or any of the others.

Rating: 4.75

July 28 2017




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment