Monday, October 31, 2016

Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger


Etiquette & Espionage
by Gail Carriger
Pages: 320
Date: February 5 2013
Publisher: Little Brown Books
Series: Finishing School (1)

Review
Rating: 4.75
Read: October 30 to 31 2016

Neat to see a young Genevieve Lefoux - who would later grow up to be a side character in the Parasol Protectorate, and will appear in her own book tomorrow in Romancing the Inventor. Also from the Parasol Protectorate series was Sidheag Maccon. A side character in that and in this book. Nice to see her as well, though she plays a rather small role in everything I've seen her in.

Right, well. I knew of this series years ago, but when I noticed that the series was called something like 'Finishing School', I immediately avoided it. Bad me. It's not exactly that type of finishing school. No, it's more of a spy school for young ladies that floats in the air in balloons (well, dirigibles), and is affiliated with a male version (which is located on the ground) - and it is designed to produce evil geniuses (also a sign of what type of series this one is about).

This is a humorous steampunk/science fiction/alt history/young adult book. Quite enjoyable. Not sure how others might or might not like it since I'm kind of out of my normal reading zone. In the sense that I have almost never enjoyed nor, for that matter, liked steampunk books. heh. I just looked at my steampunk shelf. 5 stars (1 book, this one, though it's more 4.75), then 4 stars (5 books), then 1 3 star and then 2 2 stars (hmms, I appear to be missing . . wait, no, there's Boneshaker). Every steampunk book I've liked has been by Gail Carriger. Naturally this means I shall now gobble up the rest of this series, and turn a serious eye on the sequel series (Custard Protocal). Fitting that lesbian fiction book starring Genevieve Lefoux into the mix somehow or another.

October 31 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment