Sunday, October 9, 2016

New Beginnings by Limey Lady


New Beginnings by Limey Lady
Pages: Unknown
Date: July 10 2016
Publisher: Self
Series: New Beginnings (1)

Review Rating: 3.8
Read: October 9 2016

So, this short story is about a woman who finds herself strangely drawn towards a particular individual. She even masturbates with that individual in mind. Course she thought Dave was a man that first night she masturbated over him, but eventually - like the first lunch they share together, she realizes that Dave is actually a woman. That lead to masturbating four times over Dave that night.

Mind - the reader is bluntly told that (masturbated four times) not shown. This is one of those occasions wherein being told instead of shown is perfectly fine by me.

Right, sorry - story is told in this kind of 'confessional' kind of way - with this longish opening wherein the main character is 'admitting' things to the reader. Eventually the story begins - with the MC at work with a seemingly dead computer. Asks for help, gets someone named Dave who works in the IT department. And they share some lunches together. And MC learns she may or may not be a lesbian. And is having some time examining this possibility.

There's British slang, and heavy references to a British television show (Men Behaving Badly) in this story. Most flew over my head - the slang and the references. I think I've seen an episode (or even maybe one or two seasons) of the show, but if I did, it didn't exactly become embedded in my brain.

Hmm. MC is given flowers and she pees herself. That's what it means when she relays the information to the reader that she 'wet herself' when she got the flowers, right? Right. Um. I assume not, but whatever. I'm just stuck picturing her standing in her open doorway (in her apartment) with Dave on the other side thrusting roses at her. Then MC pees her pants. Which is gross. And I'm all out of the story now because of it. oopsie. heh.

One problem I had with the story - while Dave was basically flirting with and 'courting' the MC, the MC did keep reminding Dave that she was straight (while having thoughts to herself indicating she might not be). The problem stems from how MC (and my how I wish I'd picked up her name at some point, continously calling her MC is annoying) keeps making comments, in her brain, indicating how she wished Dave would kiss her. Or shag her. But, um, you keep strenously noting you are straight. um. hmm. Happily that 'problem' was handled better than I expected. Considering.

There are too many bloody 'digressions' in this story. Yes, in the middle of it, why don't you tell us all about your masturbatory history regarding people like Nichole Scherzinger (whoever the hell that is; though I know by context that it's someone famous).

Ah hell. Her name, Mikki, has been there throughout. And I just kept overlooking it. mmphs. Oopsie. Oh, and she's 24. And a virgin. Dave, for the record, is 26.

So -- never read this author before (and, as far as I can tell, no one else has either). Competently written story. Issue with that 'talking to the reader' part, but that's a stylistic issue. 'Took' a little out of the story, for me, that stylistic decision, added a layer of distance between me and the characters, but that's fine. In the end it was an interesting enough story. Enjoyable even.

And for those who care for such information - there was graphic depictions of a sexual nature (to a certain extent) and they were interesting depictions (though the 'best part' for me was Mikki 'needing' to see Dave in the shower).

Oh, right, rating. Hmms. 3.80.

October 9 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment