Friday, May 27, 2016

Little White Lie by Lea Santos


Little White Lie
by Lea Santos
Pages: 264
Date: July 1 2010
Publisher: Bold Strokes Books (Matinee Romance)
Series: Amigas y Amor (1st in series)

Review
Rating: 5.0 out of 5.0
Read: May 27 2016
I'm quite happy that a random thought that floated through my brain this week did in fact float through my brain. For it lead me to this book here. Granted, I've had the thought before; I just acted on it this time. I'm being awfully vague, no? Not communicating directly? The two main stars in this book had that problem. Figured I'd include something like. But let's move on.

The thought that had floated through my mind was the idea that I wanted to read more books with non-traditional characters in them. This is weird, right, considering I’m talking about books involving lesbians. To someone outside looking in, any random lesbian, regardless of shape, race, religion, socio-economic status, would be non-traditional. Me? Well, lesbians come in all shapes, sizes and . . . um . . . forms. I was kind of hoping for, as a starter at least, one in a fictional book who wasn’t lily white.

Which lead to ‘acted on’. I’d figure I’d try diversify my reading a little more by actually noting what I’ve been reading – genres/themes/occupations/ages/race/still wondering if I should had religion to the mix (though that one’s harder to determine). Did find that I’d read some non-lily white books. So my impression, based somewhat on reading books by authors who are not lily white themselves but who seemed to fixate on lily-white characters (I appear to be fixated, myself, on the phrase ‘lily white’), was inaccurate. But still. I wanted more.

Which lead me to books by Lea Santos. And every character name in the book descriptions, seemed to indicate, at the very least, non-lily white characters. Also lead me to notice she had five books listed (not including the omnibus collection of all four in her friends and lovers series), and one had that ‘not published’ indication. Hate when I see things like that. I tend to see those on authors who died before books got published (though after they got mentioned as upcoming); or publishing changes occurred (publisher closing down; those in control of series changing their minds (specifically referring here to things like when Star Trek commissioned books set in the new alternate universe, signed up authors, and the books themselves had gone through the stages of being written, but then the Star Trek people squeaked, and cancelled all of them (except for a young adult series); etc.

So, while five books are listed, I only have four I can access and read. But hey, I have four books I can read! So, I started first one. I think I read somewhere, maybe in a review, that the books are linked – well, I can say immediately that I’ve only read the first book and the book descriptions, but I already know the books are linked. The second book in the series stars Iris – Iris plays a large role in this first book.

The first book, though, involves a professor/researcher named Emie Jaramillo who, early on – based on ‘things’, decided to not pay any attention (or little) to looks, and devote as much attention as possible to brains. As in, she wasn’t going to make an effort to ‘look good’, but she was going to make an effort to develop a keen brain. Course that can kind of backfire as she’s in the position now, at least in the start of the book, of believing she’s ugly (or at least so plain no one would want anything to do with her (she makes some comment like ‘not even a philosophy professor would make a pass at her!’, which indicates either that all philosophy professor’s are sluts, or desperate)) and disbelieving of anyone who says otherwise. She’s the first point of view meet in the book, but not the only one in the book.

No, there’s also Gia Mendez, an artist who works on a specific television show. As a make-up artist (though she’d prefer to try to make her living through her art). She’s somewhere nearish 34, and – judging from Emie’s reactions, drop dead gorgeous (judging from some of her own reactions, she doesn’t think she’s that bad looking, but not drop dead gorgeous).

Emie and Gia meet well on a television show – backstage. Emie believes that she is there to describe cloning. Gia’s there to provide some make-up duties. They flirt. They seem to get along well together. Then Emie goes out and immediately sees that things look odd for a discussion on cloning. But sits. The audience makes noises. The host makes noises. Eventually it comes out that Emie is there because another professor at her university thinks that Emie is too bookish looking to date. Emie is horrified and flees. All of this occurred in front of her parents and friends (who were in the audience, though not in on the ‘humiliating prank’). Naturally Emie now wants nothing to do with Gia.

Gia, though, is horrified by the whole event. And quits. And drives long distance to apologize in person.

The two, Gia and Emie, then circle each other. Neither trusting in their own feelings, or in the feelings of the other.

Emie decides that she’s going to ‘get back at’ that other professor by getting a make-over. Gia, trying to come up with some reason to be allowed to stick around, says that she will help with the make-over. Gia, though, is under the impression that Emie does in fact lust for that professor. She’s the only one who thinks that though.

This is a brilliant great work. Lovely characters involved. A solid five star work. And, judging by reviews, this isn’t even the ‘good’ book in the series, so I have that issue to look forward to. *bounces around happily*

(Oh, and by the way, Gia Mendez? From Chicago. I do not recall if they mention where Emie is from – possibly from where she currently lives, Denver, but somewhat unlikely for various reasons).

May 27 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment