Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Actual Stop by Kara A. McLeod



Actual Stop
by Kara A. McLeod
Pages: 312
Date: June 14 2016
Publisher: Bold Strokes Books
Series: Agent O'Connor (1st in series)

Review
Rating: 2.8 out of 5.0
Read: May 23 to 24 2016

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Bold Strokes Books for an honest review.

Insert here my standard 'this is the first work I've read by this author' statement.

In praise of this book and this author: the author appears to be capable of writing a coherent, competent, clear book with relatively detailed characters.

In the opposite of praise of this book (though not of this author): baring a few minor characters, I somewhat grew to rather dislike the characters. To a deep level of dislike. Plus, while the book appeared competently written, there were a few issues I had with it on a structural level as opposed to substance level.

There were several occasions in which the author spent time creating build up, and then not delivering. Specifically referring to:

(1) a great deal of time and energy was put in by the characters to get ready for the president of the USA to visit NY, it is the reason why the main character's ex-girlfriend was in NY - for that visit of the President. And then . . . nothing. Mind you, I wasn't exactly expecting much. Heck, I'd have lived if there was just a line that said roughly 'the president entered the car and was driven to the hotel'. Instead we got build up and then . . . the after party. The story-line went something like 'the president is coming' to 'Wheels up' (in other words, the president has left). It is not a huge issue, just felt like something of a let down. Though I didn't specifically deduct any 'points' for this issue.

(2) for some unknown reason, a real jackass of a man popped up in the book. Ryan's boss (Ryan being both the main character and only POV) asked Ryan to 'put him in his place', or words to that effect. Because he is being a real arrogant asshole. The storyline went from having that boss asking Ryan, to Ryan at her desk looking tired. As in, none of the actual event takes place in the book. I've no idea why this scene was in there in the first place, there's no inherent reason for it's inclusion, and then the action part of the scene (like the action part above) got cut.

(3) for no known reason, Ryan's direct boss (different guy than in 2, who is a higher up guy), is a real asshole. Towards many, but especially towards Ryan. I've no inherent problem with this characterization. Nor do I have any inherent problem with the 'why' being left blank. My problem has to do with how a 'mystery' got generated around him. That was never answered. he acted suspicious in several occasions - (a) screaming at his wife; (b) practically begging Ryan to not investigate the suspected terrorist; (c) storming into Ryan's office then coming to a surprised stop when he realized she was actually in there (what was that about?). etc. Clouds of mystery. Added to the 'real asshole' characterization. I kind of assume(d) that this might have been build up for another book.

(4) I have no real inherent problem with the build up and then lack of follow-through in four. Though it follows a pattern, so I included it A possible terrorist plot was revealed. Unless it was connected to the events that occurred at the end of the book, it was just a plot thread without resolution

(5) Meghan (Ryan's partner). (a) She acted kind of pissed every time Allison (Ryan's ex) turned up; (b) acted very suspiciously at the end of the book engagement ring on finger - refused to discuss it; acted super ashamed; somewhere along the way I had the thought that all the characters were dislikeble except for Meghan - and the only way I'd probably dislike her if it turned out she was having an affair with the dispicable boss . . . and then she turned up with an engagement ring. More likely, the ring is connected to that asshole rookie agent who Ryan had to 'put in his place', and who Ryan showed great displeasure with - Meghan would probably be ashamed to be engaged to that guy

On the substance level: every character, for the most part, had a good bit of characterization stuffed into them; but were quite loathable. Loathsome. Unlikable. I didn't like any of them.

Mystery: the only real book long mystery involved that guy who had passed counterfeit money and possibly had ties to terrorism. That played a big part in the beginning of the book, but very little the rest of the way.

Action: except for one specific scene at or near the end, there was a lot of build up for action scenes, then the actual action scenes got 'cut' (again, except for the last action sequence).

Romance: Let's see. Love triangle. Cheating. Assumation of cheating. Etc. I didn't particularly like the relationship between Ryan and Lucia (the two were dating at the start of the book). Ryan was quite dismissive of her, and refused to call the woman she had been dating for six months her girlfriend. Lucia seemed quite lovable and deserved anyone other than Ryan well, other than cheating on Ryan, and going bat shit insane, but whatever.

I do not really get the Ryan-Allison relationship. It really read like an abusive relationship. Ryan loved Allison. Allison showed a certain amount of affection. Allison did not wish to publically acknowledge the relationship. Got pissed at Ryan if Ryan crossed a line and showed too much affection (or even, at times, was in the same room). Got pissed at Ryan if Ryan didn't show affection. Basically Allison was a massive bitch to Ryan, and Ryan was psychologically abused. I'm not actually sure if we are talking about love here or Stockholm Syndrome.

None of Allison's 'reasons' for her actions, which get revealed at the end, are the kind of thing that would give her a pass or otherwise . . . . um . . . forgive her. And, quite frankly, I've heard the abuser in an abuse relationship saying some of the same things Allison gave. She was afraid. She didn't know how to handle her feelings. She did what she thought was best for both of them; without consulting Ryan.

Boiled down: I'd give this book some rating nearish 2.8 stars, rounded up to 3. In thinking about whether or not I'd read this author again, I reminded myself of how many books I've DNF, or rated lowly, by authors I'd given a ton of 5 stars to. (I believe the author with the most books I've rated 5 stars is also the same author I've DNF'd the most books by - Georgette Heyer). Point being, sometimes the same author will create love/hate inside of me. So yes I'll probably read something else by this author.

Heck, I'd recently read a book in which something like 99% of the readers gave a super low rating, or DNF'd the book (no, I'm not talking about this book here). I also gave that book a low rating. And then, not immediately but eventually, I read another book by that same author. Authors that can create emotions in me will be given plenty of chances to interest me. Well, 2 to five chances.

And yes, there are parts of this book that enraged me. Many parts.
- Like the part wherein Ryan got pissed at her girlfriend when her girlfriend got angry at her for canceling yet another date. Without actually remembering to call to cancel.

- And the several occasions in which Ryan did improper things (interviewing a counterfeit suspect, as a favor, when she had no power to do so (power? authority. I mean authority); ironically, or not ironically, by doing so she found a reason, a justification but that was after the fact), some of which are illegal (driving while texting/talking on the phone).

Re: improper. I'd put that one in my status updates:
Seriously, what the does she expect to accomplish here? I thought of that before she even entered the apartment.
(A) she's let a possible criminal know the 'government' is onto him;
(B) gained no information for her troubles (from the interview, later learned some things);
(C) if she had gained information . . . what was she going to do with it? She wasn't authorized to be talking to this guy. she later traced some of his calls. Saw connection to terrorists. Her reaction? When learning that an old partner had rejoined the counterfeit division of the Secret Service, inform him that she might have some questions for him about a case. As I noted in my notes (and then saw in the book itself (as in, Ryan also thought of this issue); learn of a terrorist connection, who should you contact? Ryan thinks of asking the coutnerfeit division some questions. Apparently forgetting (and then later remembering) that she was tasked to the joint-terror task force

hmm. The book was/is a lot more coherent than my review.

May 24 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment