Thursday, March 17, 2016

Renovations by J.A. Armstrong


Renovations
by J.A. Armstrong
Pages: 127
Date: February 29 2016
Publisher: Self
Series: By Design (6th in series)

Review
Rating: 5.0 out of 5.0
Read: March 16 2016
I'm not sure what it is about this specific series, but I surely do seem to enjoy it more than the others, and, to a certain extent, more than I'd expect.

I only have a few comments this time - (1) yay, mention of another story in this series (unlike that other series I like by Armstrong which didn't mention a 'continued in'); (2) I've a nephew named Spencer - that actually caused me to avoid this chapter in the series a few times, opening the book and seeing that opening wherein Jameson is calling for Spencer . . . made me pull back out a few times for some reason; (3) I really like how 2 of the three series (and I assume the 3rd is going this way as well, and probably will be there starting with the next story) follow a couple - too often I'll read a book - watch a couple circling, 'merge' and . . . 'that's all folks!' as the pig would say. I like being able to follow couples beyond that 'that's all folks' dividing line - and more than just a small little epilogue (or seeing the couple pop up as side characters in some other couple's unification story).

So - Jameson is watching Spencer while Maureen is attempting to regain her faculities; Candace is there off and on – busy as she is with the business of being the new governor of New York (and a few political crisis that pop up); and the rest of the extended family are doing their thing.

I wasn’t sure if I’d like this one as much as the prior entries in the series and probably the real reason I kept dodging the entry, what with really liking the story that came right before this one, I was somewhat nervous things would let me down – my fear was not confirmed. As would be expected in a situation like this – while I recommend this story (I mean, I did give it 5 stars), I only do so with the clear note that this is a story that builds on itself. I’m not even sure you could read this specific entry without the knowledge gained from reading the five previous entries. I know there are moments where certain things are somewhat indirectly mentioned, and I picked up on what was being said, but someone new to the series has no real chance on picking that info up (one example would involve several comments by or about Laura, indirectly referring to her horrible family – without actually mentioning that they are horrible or why Laura might appreciate the motherly like attitude Candace points in her direction).

Hmm. This ‘review’ is shorter than the actual story description. I think.

March 17 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment