Thursday, March 3, 2016

Jolt by Kris Bryant


Jolt
by Kris Bryant
Pages: 264
Date: September 15 2014
Publisher: Bold Strokes Books
Series: N/A

Review
Rating: 3.5 out of 5.0
Read: March 2 2016

This is my second book by this author, though it's her first published book. I'm apparently doing things backwards.

This book involves a woman of around 30 (Bethany Lange) who is a successful author, in some way introverted (she makes conflicting comments about how she is and isn't), and the main point of view. Sorry, I meant to say that as the point of view. She's also the sole child of her parents, and an idea is conveyed that she has some family money.

The book also involves, less so, a woman of around 33 (Ali Hart) who is a successful folk singer. She's on tour throughout most of the book; has a large-ish family (at least one brother, and I believe at least 2 sisters; plus a niece; and living parents). I say that her involvement is 'less so' both because Ali Hart does not have her own point of view and the manner in which information is conveyed kind of subsumes everyone and everything into almost figments of Beth's imagination.

No, this isn't a book about someone who may or may not be in a mental institution or anything like that. It's just the way the book is conveyed is almost entirely through Beth's thoughts, mental impressions, and barely seems to move outside Beth's head. So, as I noted, others kind of get subsumed into Beth's thoughts and feelings.

The book opens with Beth at a camp for . . . . oh. Hmms. I can't recall now if it is conveyed as a camp for the children of LGBT parents or for LGBT children. I've a vague recollection that both possibilities might be in play. Not that important which it is - the important thing is that it is a LGBT summer camp. That Beth is at when the book opens. As something of a volunteer (what kind of volunteer can she be if she goes there to work on her books; writing, editing, etc. - how involved can she be in being a fully involved volunteer? . . . sorry, stray thought I had distracted me).

While at the camp, Beth encounters a visitor. One Ali Hart. Who Beth finds quite attractive and alluring. Eventually, even though she only kind of maybe recognizes the name, Beth learns that Ali Hart is quite famous as a music person.

Beth, feeling a strong pull towards Ali, proceeds to spend most of the week that Ali is visiting the camp . . . . hiding from Ali. Because she, Beth, is still reeling from having her longish term partner walk out on her. And can't allow herself to . . um . . live again. Only, she then learns that Ali isn't actually currently in a relationship, and she, Beth, proceeds to berate herself mentally for wasting time that could have been spent rubbing herself against Ali. Yeah, that kind of confused me. One moment Beth is trying to hide and fleeing from her emotional instability, the next she's acting like a cat in heat. But, whatever. I distracted myself again.

So, Beth and Ali have a brief weekend to stare moodily at each other before Ali has to return to her music tour. They agree that Beth, at some point or another, will attempt to be there - visit, something or other, with Ali while she's on tour. Meanwhile Beth will be spending time writing two different books at the same time, and working as a camp volunteer at this camp I already mentioned.

Their relationship then proceeds long distance. Until, as expected, since this is in fact a romance book, sorry Romance book, something happens that creates conflict. Creates a wedge. Drives them apart. Causes anguish and whimpering. - well, that's my babbling recap of the plot up to a certain point, the point wherein if I said more I'd be into spoiler territory.

I'll now convey the much shorter brief thing I was going to leave when I didn't feel like writing much:
I had one major and specific 'issue/problem' with this book. It isn't the fact that this book has but one (1) POV, though that issue was annoying); it wasn't how everyone is conveyed as being absolutely gorgeous (both the main character thinking this of herself; thinking this of the other main character in the book; and even thinking this of that other character's family); it wasn't the weirdness of seeing Beth refer to Ali's parents by their actual names (I don't know, that's probably normal or something; it's just that the way it was conveyed, I couldn't actually tell if she was talking about Ali's parents, or just two people who happened to be nearby); no the main problem/issue had with this book is/was directly connected to how everything is/was conveyed to the reader. Conveyed as if through an especially overally-hyper poodle squeaking continously -or, as I had originally worded it, opened their mouth and then just could not shut it again. In a 'and then this happened; and then this happened; and then I felt sad for myself more; and I really overreacted but don't feel bad, specifically, about really overreacting; gosh darn it, why doesn't she ever actually say [insert something here - referring to the main character talking to herself about the other main character] (despite, you know, dedicating a song; constantly making comments that convey love/desire/etc. - recall, if you will, that this is information conveyed by the point of view about the observable feelings/desires/etc. of the other - the one whose head we aren't in) - mind you there are also constant comments by the main character - the comments are made internally and not conveyed to the other party that convey things like how they love what's going on, or how they want the other to touch them - now; or stuff; but how she doesn't bloody actually say any of this stuff because .... reasons.'

So, to recap, the main issue that I had is how everything is conveyed through the thoughts, feelings, and observations of one character. That being Beth. Who, as far as I could tell, is actually probably a little insane. And/or mentally unstable. What with all the voices talking to her in her head. As in - 'Em, Robert, and Shakespeare are so angry with me right now.' Kindle Location 2712

Even with all that babbled, I still believe the book is probably closer to 3.5 stars than to 3. But I'll mark it down as 3 stars. *marks*

March 2 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment