Monday, March 14, 2016

Hell On Heels by Robyn Peterman


Hell On Heels by Robyn Peterman
Pages: 339
Date: September 15 2014
Publisher: Self
Series: Hot Damned (3rd in series)

Review
Rating: 3.0 out of 5.0
Read: March 13 to 14 2016
In this third book in this series (and third book I've read by this author), the series turns to a new lead main character (though I know at least two following books follow Astrid, and the sixth in the series follow yet another new batch of main characters). I guess, suppose/assume, that the series shifted to give Astrid more time to be pregnant, and I guess it's boring to follow pregnant people so . . . let's follow Dixie, Satan's nicest daughter, while Astrid's off on the side groaning about her 12 headed baby and wondering when it might, you know, appear.

So far this has been the weakest in the series. In the smallish dose I saw them in Astrid's visit to Hell, Dixie, Carl, Mrytle, Janet, and the rest were some what . . .bareable . . . probably isn't the right word. But interesting enough in their small doses. But a whole book of them? And switching from a character in her, 30s I think, to one who is 21, is annoying. Might be stretching things to call it young adult - I'll shove it into 'New Adult'. So chick-lit with fantasy (the Astrid books) changed to young adult/new adult (with Dixie). mmphs.

Dixie went to a college literally in the same spot she went to high school (apparently Satan didn't want his daughter to head off to Harvard or the like - like most high level demons do, because he didn't think she was ready for earth, so changed her high school into college. Fun, right? Going to the same place for 8 years? Feeling like you never escaped high school?). Which is important because, despite the last book ending with Dixie all set to go to earth . . . things are dragged out. Heck, things got repeated to a certain extent. I don't think any specific event repeated from Dixie's point of view, it's just Dixie got told things/taught things that Astrid got taught. By the same people. In the same way. Using the same words. Frustrating.

Then it got super icky with this 'super hot boy crush' that Dixie had to deal with. And the super hot boy also seemed to be crushing hard on Dixie. Their whole relationship is icky, and dripped with what I image the author imagined drama/relationships are like in young adult novels. To a limited extent I was able to get over this icky-ness, but their relationship wasn't very interesting.

I've lost track of what I have said/what I wanted to say, and what I need to say. mmphs.

Let's see - Dixie, before the beginning of this book, had spent time in high school (time amount not given; fact spent time in high school implied by the words that her college is literally on the same spot her high school was), before moving on to college. And, though it wasn't specifically mentioned in the last book, she might have been near the end of her time at college. Well, so, in this book she graduates from college . . . I think. My mind is kind of jumbled. She was at her high school like college, got news she was going to go to earth on a specific date, she got distracted by this Hayden dude, now she's on earth and her grandpa tells her to go to community college. To which she notes she already graduated college. There might have been a step I skimmed over/overlooked/wasn't there. I don't actually recall her actually graduating from that demon college she went to. No matter.

So, as is somewhat normal in this series, the female lead character with 'massive issues' heading her way; she jokes around, is quite horny, plays with small demons, is destructive, and . . . well if I go too far I'll be in spoiler land. So I won't.

Enjoyable enough book, in its way. Just not as good as the first two books in the series.

March 14 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment