Friday, June 12, 2015

The Scent of Jasmine by Lila Bruce


The Scent of Jasmine
by Lila Bruce
Pages: 55
Date: October 5 2014
Publisher: Author

Review
Rating: 2.0 out of 5.0
Read: June 12 2015

I'm vaguely surprised. This is my second story by Lila Bruce that I've read. The first one, Falling Slowly, I found to be cute and fun. This one . . .well. I kinda hated all the side characters. Heck, I even didn't particularly like the niece, and she's only 8 or something like that.

Not exactly sure what the difference is between the two stories would be. I mean, in both the two who 'hook up' play hard to get - to a certain extent. In Falling Slowly, the two women have two bad meetings, then a good third one. This time, the two have several rather good meetings, but Grace kept trying to avoid Jessica. Because of how good the meetings were.

Hmms. Maybe that's it. One story went from "I can't stand being in the same room with you because you are a rude bitch" to "that was a wrong impression of you that I developed, you are actually quite nice." While this one went from "my god you are so gorgeous . . NOOO I can't find you gorgeous! *flee*" to "I still find you gorgeous, I guess I can't fight my feelings any more."

That might give a wrong impression, the trying to fight feelings part. All four women started the story as lesbians and remained so by the end. Which is a plus. I'm so bloody tired of "oops, guess I was wrong all this time, I'm actually a lesbian" stories. So, as I said, that's a plus in both stories.

I mentioned I didn't like the side characters but I didn't mention the main. That's another difference between the two stories. I came to feel like I knew the two women in Falling Slowly. Here, I feel like I basically know nothing. Two women. One had a woman walk out on her shortly before marriage. And has a business doing decorations and stuff. Other just moved back to the small town. And apparently has a business. And has millions. That's basically all I know about both.

No comments:

Post a Comment