Thursday, June 25, 2015

Forever and a Knight by Bridget Essex


Forever and a Knight
by Bridget Essex
Pages: 350
Date: January 26 2015
Publisher: Rose and Star Press
Series: The Knight Legends (2nd book)

Review
Rating: 4.0 out of 4.0
Read: June 25 2015

Well, I read the book that I didn't think I'd read. I didn't think I'd read it because it didn't continue the story of Virago and Holly from the first book in the series, but, instead, injected two completely new people. And . . . I rather dislike when series do that. Sometimes I continue the series, sometimes I don't. Most often, now-a-days, I don't. There is a high likelihood that I wouldn't have this time either, except I had read three other stories by Essex on the same day (when was that, yesterday? the day before), and I liked them so much that I just had to continue this specific series. Since there so few stories that actually are continued by Essex, even if this was only continuing the universe, not the people (though the people did have a cameo).

So. A radio DJ. Very sarcastic and bitter. I might not be remembering right, but if I am, the only creature they are close to in life is Wonder, the DJ's cat (and the DJ's sister, but sister is dead). I've named the cat but not the main character. heh. Josie.

Josie works for public radio and the grant that basically funds the place just got pulled. So she's out of work. Abruptly. There's one last shot at the board that runs the trust that gives out the grant. Josie and her, apparently, bitter rival will jointly present the idea that pulling the grant is stupid. Present this idea the next day.

Noticing that all she has clean in her apartment, clothing wise, is thin tiger pants and Scooby Doo shirt, Josie heads down to the "haunted" basement to do some laundry. Which is important to mention, because while down there, she falls through a portal between worlds. And lands on the world Virago came from.

Well, no. More accurately she bounced on that world, got all confused, tripped, fell down a hill, and eventually stopped moving after she fell onto a woman. In armor. A woman named Attis.

And so, Attis and Josie go on a quest towards a specific city where Attis knows someone who might, just might, be able to help Josie return home. Most of the book involves following Attis and Josie on their journey. Almost immediately, and this is quite important, Josie stopped the journey. Right when it was about to start. Because heard mewing. Mewing that sounded suspiciously familiar. Josie charged back up the hill she had previously fallen down and found her cat. So, see, important. Cat, Josie, Attis, and horsie go on this journey.

Solid book. Solid characterization. Somewhat annoying in terms of the dragging romance, and the ending was kind of weird.

And, despite having "knight" in the book title and series title, Attis isn't a knight. But a mercenary. Who used to be a knight. Meh, just something to note. I guess "Forever and an ex-Knight" doesn't work as well. And something like "The (ex)Knight Legends" or "The Knight and ex-Knight Legends" works even less well. So . . .. *shrugs*

No comments:

Post a Comment